Flashback: Your Girl's Home Too: Part I

Late September 2013

Brantley's POV

I killed the engine of my truck in Mama's driveway with a heavy sigh. Out of habit I glanced over to the white house with the black shutters next door searching for a certain blonde to be sitting on the porch swing. I wearily ran a hand over my face then pulled myself out of it. Of course Riley wasn't over there. She was either in Atlanta with her husband or on a photo shoot somewhere. That ship had sailed years ago along with me losing my best friend. Yea, when we were both home we were civil with each other. Couldn't help but be as close as our families were.

I'd been home for Easter earlier this year with Jana tagging along. She'd been determined to finally put a face to a name for Riley. Took all my self control to keep from putting a fist into Jackson's smug face staring me down across the table. Riles had looked as miserable as I had felt at the time. But she hid it well. I had almost been able to confront her over it in the kitchen, but she'd quickly smiled and shrugged me off. Pushing my glasses up on my hat, I made my way into the house finding Mama bustling around in the kitchen. She had her back to the door taking cookies off the pan to cool when I snuck up behind her grabbing her around the waist.

"Ahhh!" Mama yelled then turned her head to see me smiling down at her. She smacked me with a spatula making me yelp. I rubbed my shoulder as she glared at me. "Don't you scare me like that Brantley Keith!"

"Sorry angel," I said with a snicker kissing her cheek as she hugged me tight.

"You look tired baby," Mama muttered rubbing a soft hand on my cheek as I closed my eyes.

"Yes mam," I sighed. "I am. Think we have a chunk of the album wrapped up. And other than an appearance or two and some interviews I am done for a couple of months. Looking forward to getting some hunting done in a few weeks." Mama nodded as she fixed me a glass of tea then watched me closely after handing it to me as I leaned against the counter. I took a sip and raised an eyebrow at her. "What?"

"Your girl's home too," she said quietly studying my reaction. I knew exactly who she was talking about, I just didn't want to have this conversation right now. "Came blazing in to town a few days ago."

"Don't have a girl Mama," I muttered taking another sip and not looking at her. I jerked when I felt a sharp tug on my ear.

"You know who I mean," Mama grumbled rolling her eyes.

"Mama," I growled quietly. "She hasn't been mine for a long time. Made that abundantly clear with that rock on her finger and a new last name."

"Well....." she drawled as I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. "I know for a fact that rock is missing from a certain finger."

"Don't play with me angel," I said biting my lip and tugged my phone out of my pocket.

Ash: Hey, heard through the grapevine you were in. You busy this evening?

BG: I've barely been home and you heard it through the grapevine??? No, I am not busy if Cam wants to hang out.

Ash: Finnneee.... My grapevine consists of my husband and your brother. They are reliable sources. Actually I had a favor to ask. I have someone who's around that would like to see you. Please B, for old times sake. Time to put the past to bed.

I glanced up at Mama who was giving me a knowing look then looked back at my phone for a minute debating how to answer. Yes, I would like to see her. If I was honest with myself, I missed my best friend. Other than a once in the blue moon text, we really hadn't talked much the last few years.