Chapter 8

Chapter 8

It had been two weeks since Alfheim had fallen. Word had spread throughout the common people of Asgard about the siege that had decimated the Light Elves; most were shocked at the belligerence and aggressiveness of the Orcish, while others weren’t surprised that the Realm had fallen so easily. It was an unspoken fact that the Light Elves were not renowned for their military prowess; the only reason that they had survived as a people this long was because of a single, secretive weapon that was kept well under wraps.

 As rumors surrounding the destruction of the Realm of the Light Elves spread like wildfire throughout Asgard, a particular rumor stood out above the rest: a single maiden had survived and was now living somewhere within the castle. It was the same maiden that was rescued by the two princes that had nearly killed Thor mere weeks earlier. Needless to say, the people were curious. Asgard’s guest had not shown her face to a single soul since she arrived on the Bifrost, screaming for the family, the people, and the kingdom that had been razed to the ground. Fera didn’t allow visitors. She didn’t even permit maids, guards, or servants into her room--not to change her sheets, rekindle her fire, or bring her food. No one knew how she could last that long, locked away in her room without even opening the door, and some even began to believe she wasn’t even there. 

Sif and the Warriors Three had long since forgiven Fera for the dueling fiasco that had happened the day she left. Thor had come to realize, he told them, that Fera’s gift was not a danger to them any more than their own unique skills were. Sif and the Warriors Three had agreed heartily after little persuasion, and had praised Thor for his compassion and wisdom. Loki had rolled his eyes at that, but he was satisfied as long as he got what he wanted--his brother and his friends to get over their wounded pride. However, Fera’s elusive presence in the castle was often the topic of discussion, as it was at breakfast one particular morning. 

“It’s been two weeks,” Sif sighed in a low voice. She nudged Volstagg in the ribs, who guiltily swallowed the mouthful of ham he had just bitten into. “Surely she has to show her face soon,” 

Thor shrugged, unconcerned, taking a swig of morning wine from his goblet. “She’ll return when she’s ready,” he said into the sweet juice. 

Hogunn nodded grimly. “She has lost her family, and much of her people,” he said in a monotonous voice. “It will take her time to recover,” 

“I have an idea,” Fandral muttered. “Let’s leave her in her room indefinitely!” Loki, sitting across the table from him next to his brother, rolled his eyes involuntarily. 

“Thor, why don’t you go speak with her?” Sif said, ignoring Fandral, her eyes searching Thor imploringly.

“Me?” he repeated, taken aback. “Why must it be me?”

You are the one who convinced us of her benevolent nature,” Volstagg said. “You understand her in ways we do not,” 

“He’s right,” Sif nodded encouragingly. “She will listen to you,” 

Thor swallowed uncomfortably, glancing at each of the Warriors, who continued to badger him with their pleas. “I think not,” he proclaimed loudly. The Warriors fell silent, grumbling and sighing but unwilling to challenge him this early in the morning. Loki hid a satisfied smirk behind his goblet; he knew by the discomfort he showed that Thor was afraid of her. “She will come around in her own time,” Thor added with a hasty, cheerful smile. 

“And if she doesn’t?” Hogunn asked. 

“It might be for the better,” Fandral answered, bitterness dripping from his voice. “She can stay cooped up in that room, and we can keep our lives,”