Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Loki strutted to the set of large golden double doors, coming to a halt as the two guards on either side clapped their fists to their chests. Loki returned the gesture with a small bow, adjusting the ends of his sleeves. 

“Your Highness,” one said in a low voice. “The Allfather and Prince Thor awaits,” 

“Yes, they have made that abundantly clear,” Loki replied, annoyance creeping into his voice. “Go on,” 

The guard that had spoken to him bowed again and pushed the heavy doors open, striding in and clapping his spear on the ground loudly. “Prince Loki has arrived, your Grace,” 

Loki traipsed in after him to see his father and brother standing on the other side of a long wooden table, their heads bent as they exchanged low whispers. At his entrance, they both looked up, the same expression of annoyance and relief playing on their similar features. 

“About time,” Odin muttered. “Quickly, Loki, we have matters to discuss,” He gestured to the table before him, which was littered with yellowed maps and thick, leatherbound volumes stacked high one on top of the other. 

Loki frowned, glancing from Odin to Thor, who had an expression of smug alarm playing on his features. “What happened?” he asked. 

Odin picked up a book, peered at it, then tossed it back onto the table. “Nothing,” he replied curtly. “Yet,” 

“I don’t follow,” Loki said, narrowing his eyes at Thor, who smirked at him knowingly. Loki grimaced; he didn’t like it when Thor knew something he didn’t. “What have you called me here for, Father?” 

Odin waved a hand over the table, gesturing to the books and maps. “We have a problem,” he began. 

“Has Thor forgotten how to read?” he replied drily, losing interest as he inspected the nails on his left hand in an unconcerned manner.

“The Orcs have disappeared,” Odin continued, ignoring Loki. “I cannot see them, nor can Heimdall,” 

Loki frowned. “Those who besieged Alfheim? Do we not want them to pass out of our sight?” 

“They are still in Alfheim,” Thor supplied. “There has been no mass activity on the Bifrost as of late. And we don’t know what they’re doing there--they could be fortifying their forces to come after what they’ve sought for an age,”

“They’ll attack Asgard,” Loki surmised quietly. Odin nodded grimly, and Loki’s arms, which he had folded across his chest, fell to his sides. “What are we to do?”

“We could give them what they seek,” Thor said, his voice low. Loki’s neck snapped as he rounded on his brother, his eyes glinting with anger. 

“Say that again and I will have your head,” 

“You always tell me not to let my emotions cloud my judgment, Loki. I’ll tell you the same thing,” Thor replied with a snarl. 

“Boys,” Odin sighed, waiting several moments before continuing. “I am putting the both of you in charge of a reconnaissance quest,” he said. Loki’s eyes darted to Thor, whose anger was lost in new excitement. “--With Thor running point, naturally,” 

“Naturally,” Loki repeated through gritted teeth. 

“You will go to Alfheim,” Odin continued. “Find the Thursar. See what they’re plotting,” 

“And after?” 

“Stop them before they come to Asgard,” 

“You’re putting us in charge of preventing a war?” Loki asked incredulously.