T H I R T Y - T H R E E

I tapped the camera on my laptop, checking the red light that flashed beside the lens. It was ready to record, I only needed to hit enter; but I wasn't ready to talk.

Nervousness set in.

I sat in a conference room within Provincial Hall. Chairs were circled around me, people within them. The Province Officials sat beside me, each comfortable in their own chair, despite the audience. I mean, the camera on my laptop would only display my face to every hologram monitor within the city, not them; but that meant every citizen would see me.

Me.

Erica had already made a speech; perfect, as always. She'd explained how Project Restore worked, how it applied to our lives; how we ensured domestic equality to every citizen, human or digital.

Xerses had taken a turn to speak, too. His was more about how the data trapped within our receptors and the side effects. Only he would draw a gasp and shake his hands excitedly, telling everyone in the Nation, 'relax, people.'

If only relaxing were that easy, because it wasn't. I couldn't. I was next; I took in a breath.

My phone buzzed in my hands. Looking down, I saw the text message that read I'm here. I couldn't help but smile.

Roger sat out in the audience, two rows back. His chair was behind a lady with big, red hair, but I saw him fine. His dark waves were combed away from his face; his suit was perfectly ironed and pressed. He looked like he did the day we first met, smug as ever.

When we locked eyes, his shifted with their eerie blue, but his mouth rose up with a grin. He mouthed the words, just as he texted: I'm here.

Still hovering over the laptop, my finger finally settled over the enter key. And pressed. The monitor came to life.

"My name is Clara Burrows, and I am in charge of the Housing and Rights division of Project Restore."

The officials sat up as I started my speech. Through the open windows, I heard my voice echo, carried through the wind outside.

"What we're doing here and now is beneficial for our future. Through the program that's restored thousands of minds back into bodies that live and breathe like the rest of us, we can promise futures for the terminally ill or disabled. This program not only made up for our faults and ignored promises, but it provides for what we strive for. A life of perfection."

I took in a deep breath as I smiled into my computer camera.

"Codes are the way for the future. Together, we all will build a new world for the Province."

Outside, I heard an applause from the streets. The questions commenced right after. A man and a woman sat on the other end of the table, noting the questions that appeared on the screen. Thousands of messages appeared for our conference, each touching the subject that I, Erica, or Xerses spoke of. Others reached out to our officials, the leaders of the Province.

The rest were spam, emoticons, and thanks.

When the sun dipped beyond the horizon and night fell upon Provincial Hall, I finally found time to break away. I stood in the lobby that was once covered in so much blood it hurt my heart, but now was white and pristine. Three receptionists sat at the front desk; one a Code. They smiled at me as I made my way over to the entrance, flattening the front of my dress. I looked at my reflection and expected to only see me, yet Roger stood behind me.

"I always loved that dress," he said with a smirk.

I blushed and turned, looking him up and down with a smirk of my own. "Is that why you picked it that night I went out with X?"