Change me (one shot story) : The transformation

-Axel-

I sat at my engraved desk with the last words of these poor tortured souls. I sat alone in my class because my friendship group weren't in any of my classes. I sit with my black headphones blocking out the world and my piercings digging into my head. After having them for nearly 3 years, I'm used to it. I'm listening to some pretty depressing songs about dark and demented things. It's the only thing I listen to because it just matches my mindset perfectly. My black eye-lined and eye-shadowed eyes make me look like an insomniac when in reality I actually appreciate a good nights sleep. My outward appearance may suggest I'm a slacker who doesn't listen, however I actually do listen and I complete every assignment. I'm just good at making it seem like I'm bunking my work.

As a goth, I try to stick to the stereotype, however, I'm still just me and I like to do my work and keep a working mind. I do have dark, depressing thoughts and I hate everything in the world. I like dark music because it's just so truthful about the world. As I sat at the desk, out of the corner of my eye, I saw a colourful clothed person walk confidently into the room. She had flowing blond hair and bright hazel eyes. An almost odd combination but very cute. She wore clothes filled with bright colours that practically reflected her personality.

She was a popular. She hung out with the jocks, the sluts and the barbies. She wasn't one of those types but she still hung out with them because she was just so nice that no one couldn't like her. She always wore a smile. And her laugh. Her laugh was infectious, like a disease that caused smiles, even from this demonic soul. I would often take little glimpses of her just to see the light in her eyes and the sparkle in her smiles.

Ivy Greensted. She is the a popular girl in school and I am a Goth. There is always an unspoken hierarchy within a school. Obviously the populars at the top and the geeks and weirdos at the bottom. Goths were somewhere in the fray of it all but I cared little about it. Until I realised my crush on Ivy. The fact that she was at the top of the chart and I was probably a million miles from her, made me feel like I should change. In high school there's always backlash from every little thing. Gossip spreads faster than a zombie disease round here. And I knew if I tried to make any move towards Ivy, there would be an up roar of gossip and rumours that would spiral into utter bullsh*.

That's why after school, I'm sitting at my bathroom mirror staring at my black appearance. All I am is black. I only wear black. I'm like a shadow. I suppose that's what we're aiming for. To be nothing but a shadow. However, I want to change. That's why I start getting together my arsenal of ungothing weapons. Hair dye remover, makeup remover, remove my piercings, scrounge up some non-black clothes from god knows where and a hair cut.

After I was done, I looked at my reflection. Who is this plain, normal idiot in the mirror? I didn't recognise myself. Well, it was now or never. I got up and made my way downstairs to grab a quick breakfast before walking to the school where people would get a huge surprise.

-Ivy-

He was looking at me again. Like a dark cloud over me, I felt every time he glanced my way. It was sweet that he tried not to be obvious when he looked at me. He looked like the embodiment of depression, however, he did things unexpectedly. Like once, during a science lesson, he was partnered with a girl who didn't understand the experiment. Instead of just ignoring her like most goths in the schools would, he actually took over the work and wrote up all their results. He got really into the experiment and it was actually really sweet the way he surprised me with his actions.

As a goth, everyone expected Axel Mulbern, to be a social recluse and never pay attention in class. However, he actually works hard and shows his joy without thinking about it. The small, shy smiles that appear when he works enthusiastically on a topic he's passionate about make me want to get to know him better. I know it's stupid, but I'm afraid of gossip and the fact I'm a Popular and he's goth. People always take note of every change and it practically turns into gossip within minutes. Social groups in our school are really important and any change in the hierarchy cause rumours and bullying.

I'm not proud of it, but I'm friends with the Populars that are at the very top of the charts and they do most of the bullying. After the last incident, I realised I didn't want to be restricted by peer pressure. If I wanted to try getting to know a goth, I would. And if I wanted to try being a goth, I would.

That's why, after school I went to a store and got a new black outfit, some black hair dye, fake piercings and black makeup. Now I'm sitting at my dressing table looking at my newly temporarily dyed black hair. It looks different that's for sure. I take out the black makeup. I haven't worn black for a long time. I didn't really have a dark fashion phase. I dusted black eye shadow over my lids and then smudged a little underneath so it looked like I had dark bags under my eyes. I layered on mascara and eyeliner until my hazel eyes looked like burning embers in a black hole. It looked kind of cool.

The outfit on my bed was like my shadow. Black skinny jeans with rips up the sides and in the knees, a tight black tank top, a huge jumper that had white writing on the back saying 'live like death is due tomorrow' and some really cool, badass combat boots that gave me about 2 inches in height. I looked back into the mirror and tried to figure out all these fake piercings. There were simple ones that just clipped on, there were clever magnetic ones that looked like spikes and then the coolest ones were the hoops that just lodged onto the edge of my ear. The shinny black metal looked rocking and I kind of thought it suited me. I looked at the black lip stick that I was contemplating putting on.

After putting everything on, the end result was actually really cool and I could see why so many people wore black. It's dark, it's depressing, it's super badass. I looked like a demon ready to take on anything thrown at me. I really looked like a goth. I was off to school where I would knock all the stupid popular's off their judgemental feet.