Innocent Illusionist

"Come, we should be friends." The man called as you walked through the crowd, trying to see if the boats that had been arriving all through the night held your friends.

"I have plenty of friends." You answered as you disappointedly looked over the docks and turned back.

"None are like me!" He declared and grabbed your arm to stop you walking away. He grinned when you tried to pull yourself from his grip. "If those Princes cared about you they would be sure to keep something like you safe." He licked his lips as he looked you over.

"I assure you they have no need to." You spat back and yanked your arm free of his mud smeared paw. You jumped when an apple smacked him in the side of the head and you both looked over to see Hvitserk and Ubbe watching you.

"She assured you protection is not necessary. We are the only people here now. If she becomes angry we have no plans to stop her." Ubbe said and smiled when the man glanced at you and registered your murderous look for the first time.

Hvitserk didn't say anything as he had a mouthful of apple. He did glare at the man and jerk his head to motion you over. There was a tense moment as you went to stand between the brothers and the man stood as if he wished to challenge them.

"Come little one, we have treasures for you." Hvitserk muttered as he led you away. Ubbe stayed behind and you were sure Hvitserk was trying to talk louder than the pained grunts that seemed to chase you down the road.

The afternoon was spent with the brothers showing off the things they had found and gold they said they'd use to spoil you. Even jewelry they draped over you. It was obvious that Ubbe liked the wide eyed innocent attention you gave him as he told you gifts and showed off his horde.

Ivar assumed he'd seduced the attention you'd given Ubbe and encaptured it until Sigurd excitedly showed off instruments he'd taken and was learning to play. There was quickly a competition over your attention. Hvitserk didn't say anything. He simply watched and waited for you to want him to entertain you.

***********************************

"You cannot fool me." Hvitserk said as he found you looking over some fruit in the market.

"Why do you think that I would try to fool you?" You asked innocently and he chuckled as he followed you.

"Because I know you are not a pure little maiden my brothers believe you to be." He grinned at you when you looked surprised for a moment between a dark playfulness crossed your face.

"How did you happen to come to this decision?" You hummed playfully as you moved onto the next market stall.

He smirked as he jogged a little to keep up. "I watched you. With the farm boy. You should have a prince warm your bed for once." He grinned again when you hummed as if you were thinking about it and glanced at him.

"Which prince should I choose?" You teased and skipped off as he felt a bubble of competitiveness rise in his chest.