Chapter V.

CHAPTER 5

"Really?!!" Rea shouted from the other side of the line.

I deliberately distanced my phone from my ears since I thought I would nearly lose my sense of hearing because of her shouting.

"Stop shouting, Rea! And yes, really really." I smirked.

She called me right away after she read my text about what happened lately kasi. I could sense that she's very excited about it and couldn't wait for tomorrow for me to narrate it live.

I heard her giggle and said, "Omg, Auddie! That's a big step for you. Napasalita mo siya ng more than 5 words."

I rolled my eyes at that. Nakakapagsalita naman talaga si Anton ng more than 5 words ah! Well, seldomly...

"I know! What do I do?" I asked her worriedly.

"You won't do anything aside from trying to have a conversation with him! You're still a girl. Besides, you're just starting with the plan."

She was right. "Okay. Thanks Rey! Anything else?"

She went silent for a moment and then she said, "Why don't you bring Manang Trining's famous sandwiches tomorrow for snacks? Bring enough for 4 people so that di halatang si Anton lang gusto mong bigyan."

"That's a great idea. Anyway, do you know why Bryce is acting strange round Anton?"

"How would I know? Besides, you're his bestfriend! And for the love of all things, Bryce is really strange. Especially when it comes to you. If I don't know better, I would assume that he likes you."

"Hey, don't say that!" I said. "That's impossible. Maybe, he's just being overprotective of me. You know him. He's like an older brother to me."

"Yeah yeah maybe" She sounded unconvinced but I decided to change the topic.

"Uy, later nalang ah? I'll be eating dinner na eh. Plus I'll be asking Manang Trining to make sandwiches tomorrow."

"Okay girl! Bye!" She hanged up.

I immediately went downstairs to find my parents already sitting at the table. I have an older brother but he's studying abroad that's why tatlo lang kami nina mommy't daddy na magkakasama rito – aside from the helpers of course.

"Hi mom! Hi dad!" I greeted them and kissed them both on their cheeks.

"Hi anak. How's your day?" My dad inquired.

I seated and said, "Okay naman dad. It was fun. Today's the start of our review for the Physics quiz bee."

"That's good! How did it go?" It was my mom who asked me this time.

"It was great. And Bryce is with me." I said. With the mention of Bryce's name, my mom's mood immediately went up.

"Oh that's good news. I miss that kid. Buti naman at naghahangout pa kayo."

"Of course, mom. I'd be asking manang Trining to make us sandwiches so that we'll have snacks while we review. Is that okay?"

"Sure anak. You don't have to ask for permission for things like that."

I smiled with glee and started eating my supper.

***

The next day went by just fine. I was on my way to do classroom where we're supposed to have our review when I bumped into Bryce.

"Uy. Epal." I called.

"Uy. Panget." He laughed.

"I asked Manang Trining to make us sandwiches for our snacks. I brought your favorite!"

"Aaah! That's great. Now I'm famished. Could I get mine now?"

"Leche ka! Mamaya na."

"Ehhh sige na Auddie please? I missed her sandwiches."

"Then you should visit more often so that you won't miss them. Busy ka kasi parati eh."

"Di naman kaya. Ikaw busy sa Anton mo. You don't invite me na."

"Since when ba na kinailangangan mo ng invitation para pumunta ng bahay namin? Eh basta ka lang naman sumusulpot ah."

He laughed and he draped an arm around me so I elbowed him. But I wasn't successful since he's bigger and taller than me. As we were busy having our kulitan moment, a pair of gorgeous eyes caught my attention. Shit, Anton saw us. I immediately removed Bryce's arm around me and approached Anton. Bryce's mood went dark after that but he still followed me to the classroom.

"Uy. Hello." I greeted.

He just nodded at me, eyed Bryce with distaste and went inside. What was that? Balik nanaman ba kami sa tanguan?

The review ended up too soon. So I offered them the sandwiches. Bryce was overly eager about his sandwich and even requested that I should ask Manang to make two for him for tomorrow. I just rolled my eyes at my bestfriend. Ang baboy talaga! When we finished eating, Bryce told me that he would go first kasi may football practice pa raw siya. Athletic rin kasi ang gagong iyon.

"Did you like the sandwich?" I asked Anton. Sabay nanaman kasi kaming naglalakad papunta ng entrance ng building para maghintay sa mga sundo namin.

Tinanguan niya lang ako ulit. Hala! Bat di nanaman siya nagsasalita? What did I do? What do I do? Think Audrianna, think!

"Did you get the lesson today?" I asked again but he nodded in return AGAIN!

"What flavor of sandwich do you want me to bring you tomorrow?"

"Anything." At least nasalita na siya.

"Ahh. My favorite kasi is the chicken sandwich and Bryce's favo--"

He interrupted me and said, "I said anything. And no one asked you kung anong favorite sandwich ng lalaking yun."

Grabe. Kulang nalang ay magjacket na ako sa sobrang cold ng pagkakasabi niya. Kung di ko lang alam na may hidden alitan sila ng bestfriend ko ay iisipin kong nagseselos siya. Pero syempre, impossible yung kasi wala namang pake sakin si Anton.

"Sorry," I muttered.

"Sorry rin. I didn't mean to be mean to you. I was rude."

"It's okay. Pero what's the real deal between you and Bryce? You two seem to be off with each other."

He just shrugged and nodded at our car signaling that I already have my sundo. So he started walking papunta sa car nila leaving me behind. I let a sigh out – disappointed about how this day went and started walking towards our car when I heard Anton shouted,

"Let's just say that we have set our eyes on something we both like. But there's only one of it. And we're rivals competing for that prize." He then entered the car without looking back.

I was left there dumbfounded and curious as to what is he talking about. Besides, if may ganon mang issue na namamagitan sakanila ni Bryce ay malalaman ko yun dahil nagsshare naman sakin si Bryce.

What is that prize Anton is talking about?