this is my first book so please dont be rude :)

~~~~~

I struggle to carry our bag full of weapons and ammo as I run through the empty field, hoisting the strap up my shoulder every now and then.

We've been running for a while now, kinda feels like a good hour or so. My achingly sore legs and feet beg me to stop, to take a break from running, but I wont. I'll be dead within seconds if I stop.

"Mary."

My eyes move to Gustavo, who is a couple feet ahead of me. He looks at me with wide eyes and I know he's asking me for a gun.

My mouth is slightly agape as I gasp for air. I can feel my sweat trickling from the side of my brow. My boots hit the grassy field and my hair is flopping in the wind.

I slightly nod as my eyes leave his. My hand travels to my side pocket and my thin fingers grab ahold of the Uzi, lifting it up a little and throwing it to him.

Once the gun hits the air, everything seems to go slow motion. The object spins ever so slowly and I turn my head seeing them getting closer by the minute, growling and snapping at us like an angry dog. But I don't hear them. No. I hear my heartbeat through my ears and my unsteady breathing.

Everything goes back to normal once the Uzi lands in Gustavo's hand and he instantly starts shooting, killing and knocking them down.

"Get a grenade" I hear him yell to me. I reach into the bag and pull out a grenade. I don't hesitate as I yank off the safety pin and letting it slip out of my hand, letting it roll through the grass and onto the enemy.

Five seconds later the sound of the explosion is heard. Gustavo and I turn our heads to see a cloud of gray smoke. Thinking that we had killed them, our pace decreases.

It was only a second later that I saw one of them running out of the smoke, followed by another and another.

Shit.

"Go, go! Run!" I encourage Gustavo. I hastily grab his wrist and pull him. I turn my head only to see about twenty of them sprinting towards us.

Gustavo raises his gun, but once he presses his finger on the trigger, a clicking sound is heard. "I'm out!"

I immediately grab ammo and toss it to him, but it lands on the grass and rolls.

Gustavo turns his head and grunts before shoving his hand into his small bag.

He looks really exhausted, his damp hair sticks to the back of his neck and forehead, his eyes droopy, and body looks like it's ready to collapse. I feel really bad for him. He's only 12. He doesn't deserve this.

"Keep running! I got this." I tell him and he nods. He picks up his pace as I dig into the bag, grabbing an Assault SMG before whispering "I got this."

Seconds later my gun goes off, killing them one by one. A rush of adrenaline rapidly runs throughout my body as my heart dangerously quickens. My hands begin to shake and before I have time to process what the fuck I'm doing, my legs come to a halt.

I immediately turn around as I lift up the gun and jam it into the things face, knocking it out. I toss the gun and grab my pocket knife and swiftly turn around once again, jamming the blade into the others face. All this adrenaline is getting to me... and it feels so fucking good.

I haul the knife out of the dead things face and look around for more, but there aren't any. I'm panting as I desperately look around, but I only see Gustavo thirty yards away. His hands rest on his thighs as he's bent over, panting and coughing away, his asthma getting the best of him.

I'm by his side within a second, my hand digging into my bag searching for a water bottle.

"C'mon Gus, stay with me." My frustration is getting the best of me as I angrily throw the bag onto the grass, getting on my knees and using my two hands to find the water. Finding the water bottle, I anxiously hand it over to him.

My eyes roam around the area, inspecting every little detail. A couple miles ahead there's a mountain with very little trees but the area looks dry, almost dead.

Like everyone else in this world.

My eyes move to my right, seeing trees a couple more miles down. The sound of the leaves brushing against each other is evident, but there's also another sound, almost like a motorcycle engine.

I squint my eyes as I look out into the distance, seeing two trucks and a motorcycle heading in our direction.

I face Gustavo and he gives me a weird look on his face. "They can be dangerous."

He's right. They can be dangerous. But there's also a slight possibility that they can help us. We can become apart of there little group. But by the look on Gustavo's face, he doesn't wanna risk it.

And neither do I.

In an instant we are back to running, headed to the trees. The summer breeze hits our face and pushes our hair back, making it bounce with every step we took.

From the corner of my eye I can see the motorcycle, followed by the two trucks. Just fucking great.

I grab Gus' arm as our pace decreases. I gently push him behind me as they circle us.

"We're going to die." Gustavo says, panicked. I shush him. My heartbeat beats so fast it feels like it's going to pop out of my chest.

Once the come to a halt, they all get off there vehicles. All the men give us hard stares as they grip their weapons.

"Well, well." An older man says. "You alone?"

"Yes."

"Just you two?"

"Yes."

The man chuckles before taking a step forward. My eyes dart to his boots as they get dangerously close. I can feel Gus shaking a little, his little whimpers evident.

"That's close enough!" I yell. He stops and smirks.

"What's your name, Sugar Tits?" A blonde man questioned, his thick accent filling the air.

Anger races through my veins as my head snaps in his direction. "Don't fucking call me that you little shit!" I snap. He smirks.

"He asked you a question." The man presses. I silently groaned before answering.

"Mary Rose."

"And the boy?"

"Gustavo."

The man smirks once again, but this time, it kind of seems sort of welcoming.

"I'm Paul."