CHAPTER 1 - NIGHT'S LULLABY

My palms started to sweat from the slow warm halitus of Baby. My body twitched as the heat in the air prickled me and made it utterly uncomfortable, but I tried not to move much. Baby was quiet, he's glowing eyes showed no sign of uneasiness. He was nestled in the sarong tied through my back and was grasping my hand as I cupped his mouth loosely. "You're a strong boy Nebut" I whispered as he smiled through the cracks of my fingers not knowing of the very danger we are in.

It doesn't matter, they must've taken a different route, after all this forest is big enough for a thousand elephants. The moon offered what little shine it had and was enough for me to see any man in the distance from this cave. The air shifted from its warm sway to a cool breeze giving Baby and me a little comfort. The cave was small, could've even been one of those man-made ones for the soldiers to shelter themselves under a small cliff or slope. The one we're in wasn't deep but was enough for us to hide from any peril.

It wasn't long before heard it. Leaves crumbling, and it was close. Very close. My heartbeat rose but I filtered my breathing. They were standing right above the cave. I tardily pushed myself in with Baby snuggled in the sarong.

"It's impossible to see in this darkness," a tired voice said, a Pol Pot's soldier.

"You're right let's just head back, they'll probably turn up somewhere," another answered. "Hope Boran gives us some time for us to get a taste of that lady," he continued. Leaves rustled behind them as they shuffled further from the cave.

"That was close Nebut, you must be quiet, okay? Bang will keep you safe no matter what," I said with a soft hushed tone as my heart calmed. He was sleepy, I could see his brown pupils drifting upwards. I smiled at him and placed my nose on his temple and smelled his scented skin. My heart was slowly getting its pace back.

The cool breeze came back and dried my sweat I produced from the situation. The insects sang and screeched, giving the forest its soul. It calmed me to hear them sing. I yawned, my head got real heavy fast. Baby was fast asleep. It was funny to think that he was sleeping like a baby, knowing that I call him Baby most of the times.

I slowly drifted into a dark void. I clutched on to Baby as I dozed off.

I woke up to some fast-paced footsteps. It was still dark. Baby was still sleeping, fingers in his mouth. My head was aching badly. I searched for the noise, I knew someone was running but I can't figure out in which direction.

There it was again, someone is running but the sound slowly faded as it moved away from the cave. I knew for sure that it wasn't any animal fleeing as the steps taken was very human.

Leaves screamed again as another footstep approached chasing the first.

"I think she went this way!" shouted a man. He was probably the same one that came looking for Baby and me.

"I'm coming, don't lose her. Boran will kill us!" another fast-paced step approached. He was gasping for breath while running after his partner.

They were chasing someone. "Could it be...NO!" I assured myself. I heard that final shot. She's probably lying on the house floor lifeless.

Baby woke up and his eyes started to tear up. I knew he was going to cry. He always does that on the slightest noise that wakes him while he sleeps. His breathing got heavy and he started to let out small weeps.

"Oh no, dear Nebut. Don't cry. Bang is here for you right? There's nothing wrong little Nebut. You are safe in my clutches," I uttered softly to his tiny ears.