CHAPTER 4 - UNWELCOMED GUESTS

The overcast weather had slowed the scorching heat from the sun during the afternoon and looked as if it was going to rain soon. The orchard provided us with shade and some cool breeze that circulated it. The birds and rodents sought refuge under the shady branches of the mango trees as some even indulged on the fruits on their wait.

I walked around the orchard breathing its air while Baby was tied around my back with my sarong. He loves the orchard, the colours that beam from the canopies and the animals going on about their activities. I noticed the place where father had scooped a lump of mud couple of months ago under the large mango tree. The soil had gotten hard due to the heat but had lost its shape due to the missing soil.

"How about we go to the hammock, Baby? Would you like that?" I asked, looking at his plump red face.

The hammock had been tied in by Pok so that we could spend some time outside the house. It was sturdy and comfortable for both Baby and me to lie on it for hours. Mahk always fears that the hammock might fall while we're in there but Pok checks it every evening when he goes to the orchard.

I walked towards the hammock and made sure that both knots on the trees are tight. I untied the sarong Baby was in and clutched him on my arms as I slowly placed my bottom to the net. After lying down, I placed the sarong beside me and laid down Baby on it. He looks up the tree's canopies as his eyes glowed and reached for them with his tiny arms as slowly tries to grab them with his pink plump hands.

"You are the most beautiful little thing this world has to offer me, Baby. I hope you never grow up"

"What are my two little babies doing out here?" mahk said as she comes out of the back door towards us.

"I'm not a little baby mahk" I said

"You will always be to me, Jantu"

I slowly positioned myself to sit in the hammock with Baby still lying by my side. "Do you need help mahk?"

"No, it's fine, I've done it. Plus, your father should be here any moment"

"What's for lunch mahk? I'm getting a little hungry, so is Baby"

"Oh Jantu, we named him for a reason you know. Why do you like to call him Baby?" she said while stroking her fingers on Baby's cheeks.

"He is a baby isn't he?" I said with a little laugh.

"Come now let's go inside? It's time for you and Baby to eat" she said as she delicately picked up Baby from the hammock.

I took the sarong and followed mahk.

The back door suddenly flung open as pok came out running towards us, he was all sweaty and gasping for air as he grabbed mother's hand and rushed inside.

"We need to go in and barricade ourselves, there are unwelcomed guests heading our way," he stated.

"Pok, who are they?" I said with a wobbly voice.

"Let's go in Jantu. I'll explain everything later!" he said with a stern voice.

We went in and locked all the windows and doors. Pok pushed wardrobes and furniture block the doors, while mahk covered the gaps around the windows and under the doors with her clothes. I was genuinely afraid right now with my palms getting sweaty. I was panicking.

"Everyone into the kitchen and sit on the floor. No noises!" pok said as he made sure the house was completely barricaded.

"I'm scared mahk,"