elsen kareem (pt. 2)

we arrived at the john f kennedy international airport.

damn, i missed this city so much, so many things happened here.

we were led by uncle Josh. that guy was my dad's best friend, he was a soldier too, they fought together in every war.

i didn't know where we got the money but appearantly it was from my parents's saving, which were the only money we had.

it was a lot. uncle Josh bought a new apartment for me and eliza, he also bought our supplies. he was so helpful.

i didn't tell him about my family, i just told him that we will go to my grandma's house if we need something. the grandma that i don't even know if she's alive.

at this moment, he was about to go back to Palestine. he couldn't stay here for us, and he left everything to me.

i cried when he left because he helped us too much and we did nothing in return. he did things that my father would do to us, if he was alive.

we went back to our apartment. eliza didnt talk a lot about our parents, she was still very sure that our parents are safe somewhere.

everything was fine, we still had some moneys to buy some food. but obviously nothing lasts forever.

after 2 months, we ran out of money. i was freaking out. i was 12 at that time, and obviously i didn't know what to do.

uncle Josh called us twice a week but i didn't want to tell him about this, he did too much and he was probably busy.

it was actually a crazy idea for a 12 year old girl and her little sister to live alone in a big city, but i was so damn sure that i could handle this.

i had no doubt when i stepped my foot on new york, i knew that everything would work out fine, but apparently i was so wrong about that.

i tried to think really hard, this wasn't just about me, it was also about eliza. she didn't complain about this situation which i found really helpful.

i had to do something, maybe look out for a job. but who in their right mind would hire a twelve year old girl? i was so confused and scared.

i decided to have a lil walk with eliza, maybe some fresh air would help my brain to work, and distract me from my life situation.

we just walked around the city, Eliza was looking at an ice cream shop at the corner of the street, she was hungry.

    "you want that? "

she nodded

I reached my pocket and found 2 dollars left, at least I could buy some ice creams for both of us.

we went to the ice cream shop and chose the ice cream, i paid and then we sat on the bench in the front the shop.

"do you think we should tell uncle Josh about this? " Eliza asked

         "about what? "

"the money"

         " i don't think so, I will figure something out so we can earn some money. don't worry"

"I miss mom and dad" she said

         "Me too"

"I hope they're okay out there"

no, I didn't think they're okay out there.

         "I don't know, eliza. I'm not so sure about that. uncle Josh didn't say anything about it"