won't say i'm in love

elle drifted slowly from dreams to reality. she felt soft and warm inside, and completely relaxed. something good had happened, her body knew it before her mind could remember.

the alluring scent of the boy she loved surrounded her and made her smile. the details from previous filled her mind: the look in his dark eyes before a passionate kiss, luke's facial hair against her inner thighs, his hands holding her tight against him, a beautiful memory.

she turned around and the morning sun kisses her face. the space in the bed beside her was empty.

elle first noticed something was wrong when she realized luke was up before her. known for being the last awake in every situation, no matter the urgency, luke usually clung to the warmth of his bed and the tendrils of sleep for as long as he physically could. he could sleep through almost anything, and on previous mornings she had been forced to resort to drastic measures like pouring water over him just to get him to respond.

when she didn't feel his warmth beside her in the bed, even in her tired state she was immediately alert. she sat up, rubbing her eyes and looking around. she noticed there was light leaking out from below the bathroom door, filtering into the still dark room, any early morning light obstructed by the curtains.

"luke?" she called sleepily, hearing movement from inside. elle frowned when she heard coughing. yawning and swinging her legs over the edge of the bed, sliding on one of the t-shirts from his bedroom floor over her naked body. she slowly approached the bathroom when the door opened.

"right here, sleeping beauty." he spoke croakily and she sighed in relief, giving him a once over to see if anything was physically wrong with him. she had always tended to perhaps worry excessively over luke, given how she had quickly come to understand that he wouldn't ask for help until he was in the worst possible condition. precious occasions of fainting and injuries made worse by being left untreated had placed her on high alert for anything out of the ordinary.

in the pale light of the bathroom she could see that he looked tired and that his face was slightly red, but there was nothing obviously wrong with him, so she proceeded to give him a smile and wrap her arms around his neck and speak of other things.

"morning." she grinned, pecking his lips. "i had a lot of fun last night." she looked down at his appearance, his hair was a riot of tangles and curls while the only thing on his body was a pair of tight black boxer briefs. a blush raised up her neck and it was hard to focus on his face.

"last night was amazing." his whole face brightens with a smile. he grabs her hands that have ended up resting by her sides, and places them on his waist. he lowers his gaze as elle starts to trace his abs with her fingers, his breath catching as she does.

as her hands wander upwards luke leans in and lets his mouth crash with hers. it's a hungry kiss at first, but it soon shifts into something slow and tender.

"god, i love you." he sighs against her lips.

elle pulls away stiffly, not meeting his gaze as she gulps nervously. "so, why are you up so early?"

"just getting a drink." he paused before answering, a look that she couldn't define passing over his face. he turned away, gesturing to the glass on the sink behind him. "woke up thirsty."

she narrowed her eyes at his raspy voice, taking in his tired eyes and red nose again: he was sick. but she said nothing and only nodded, not wanting to have to deal with defensive i-refuse-to-believe-I-am-sick luke at this time of morning.