Scarlet

" The first time that you escape from home or the small town that you live in - there's a reason why a small town is called a small town: It's because not many people want to live there

" The first time that you escape from home or the small town that you live in - there's a reason why a small town is called a small town: It's because not many people want to live there."

- BILLIE JOE ARMSTRONG

There was only silence... like an asylum before disaster takes place. I shivered at that. Every time before something really bad happens, it always had been silence that comes first.

Every now and then, I would look behind me just to make sure nothing is following me or hiding, ready to leap out at me.

Then I heared it. The sound that only came whenever I turn back. It was quiet, but enough for me to hear it. It wasn't a footstep or little animals running.

It was a buzzing sound.

I kept telling myself it was probably just mosquitoes as I was in a middle of nowhere in the woods. Maybe it was just an insect...

Maybe it wasn't...

Maybe I was only telling myself that to make myself feel better. I tucked my hair behind my ears to get a better view of where I was going but it didn't really help much; it was too dark. I couldn't see clearly even if I used my abilities.

They say our powers would not stop the forest from playing tricks on you, just as the forest would stop you from using them, and I was actually starting to think that hypothesis was true.

I felt everything in my body was slowing down the longer I stayed there. Every time I try to breathe, it was more like pushing the air out of my lungs rather than taking it in.

I couldn't breathe through my nose. I had to use my mouth to get enough oxygen for my body to keep running.

One... two... one... two...

I mentally counted, trying to get my breathing steady.

It did help but I couldn't guarantee it would even last long enough for an hour. I rubbed my eyes. Is it me or is the forest getting redder?

Shit!

No. Its their tricks.

I shook my head, ignoring the colour changes of the forest. I should have been grateful it was only playing with the colours.

Or is it only the colours now... maybe I never realized they had been playing with me on the path?

I pushed it to the back of my mind. If the forest wanted me to go this path, so be it. I had nowhere to go anyway.

My breath hitched when in the corner of my eye, I  caught a figure staring at me. I turned to make sure but still... I never stopped running. Instead, I went faster. Not even lightning can match up to my speed.

I squinted my eyes to get a sharper view of it. I felt like it was following me. When my eyes were still good enough to get a look at it, I huffed in relief.