Chapter 5

Storybrooke, now.

Emma appeared in the middle of the crossroad, before the clock tower. She looked at herself in the gloomy light of the moon, now and then coveder by some black clouds. The black snake leather jacket didn't disappear. She sighed, feeling her own power fill the air like poison. The sword was heavy in her right hand, like it was many, many years before.
The black cape stayed mid-air for a moment in front of her, then fell down and disappeared like if the ground had swallowed it.
Her mother, Hook, her father, Henry, they were all staring at her with their eyes open wide.
Suddenly, Regina opened her eyes and sat up. She looked around.
«Emma...» she soflty said. She stared at the blonde in black. Her eyes widened. «You're... the Dark One again...» she said, standing up. The memories were bundling up in her mind, chaotic.
Her voice. Emma turned and saw her. She covered her face with her hands, the sword falling on the ground with a metallic toll, and fell sitting on the asphalt, crying. She did it.
«Mom?!»
Henry got close to her but her stopped, uncertain wether to stop or go further to join Regina.
«What the hell happened?» the brunette asked, feeling dizzy.
Emma dried her tears, but they kept running all over her face anyway, and looked at her. She then turned and gazed at her son, and her parents. Her father, most of all.
«I'm sorry...» she told him. He stared at her, disoriented, so she looked at Regina once again. Finally, after all those years, she stopped hiding her feelings.

«So many things...» she murmured answering her question.

«What happened to you? Why... How did you become the Dark One again?» Regina asked standing up and moving a few steps towards her. She was still feeling dizzy. Emma instinctively held her up with magica as, phisically, she could have never done it in time, not even by materializing next to her. She had grown so used to magic by now...

«It's a long story...» she said, vaguely saddened. She felt exhausted.

«Emma... what have you done? Tell me what you've done...» Regina said coming closer to her, more and more confused.

The Savior, the Dark One, she looked her in the eyes.

«What I had to.» she replied. She felt exposed under her stare, so different form the queen's. She perceived her own look trough her, and she gazed down, looking for a hiding. «Don't think about it, it's all right now.»

«What have you done?» she repeated almost screaming, invading her personal space. «Look me in the eyes and answer me!»

Emma gazed up at her as she was still sitting on the ground.
«What happened, Em'?» Mary Margaret urged. Emma gave her a look, then to her son.
«You don't remember, do you?» she asked. Everyone gave her confused looks.

«What are you talking about?» David inquired.

«The last thing I remember is you fighting against... whatever was under that cape.» Henry explained. Emma stretched a hand to hold his and smiled.

«Yes...» She looked at Regina, a moved smile on her pale face. «... You saved my life, and I've saved yours.» she explained.

«What? I haven't done anything... what the hell are you talking about? You were fighting against that... creature...» she anwered trying to reember, but her mind was in chaos. Emma sighed.

«Can we talk about it tomorrow? I'm exhausted...»

«You.... Were the Dark One in the Enchanted Forest... But it's impossible, you weren't even born....» Regina murmured. She felt dizzy again.

Snow and David goggled.

«What?» they asked together. Emma gave them an apologetic stare.

«Yeah, well...» she faced Regina again. «... really, it's complicated. Can't I just explain you everything tomorrow? To all of you.» she added a moment later, looking back at her parents. Hook stepped in.

«Emma, what the hell is happening?»
Regina noted her tired look.

«Yeah, I guess tomorrow will be just fine....» She gave her one last look before holding her son in her arms. «Let's go back home, Henry.»
Emma stood up, accepting Killian's help to do it.

«Will you tell me what's happening?» the pirate asked again.

Emma sighed and moved her stare from Henry to him.

«Killian, please...»

«No, Emma!» he shouted. «The last time you became the Dark One, I became one too, and we both ended up in the Underworld!»

«Killian...»

«... Now tell us what happened! You can't really think we would just go to sleep as if nothing happened!»

«Are you deaf, pirate?» Regina cut in, contemptuous and angry. Emma looked at her and saw a sparkle in her eyes. She smirked. «Whatever happened it can wait one night. There are no demons, wizards or anything that wants us dead, so let's go home. We'll have our answers tomorrow.»

Killian pointed at her with his hook.

«You stay out of this.» he threatened, looking then at Emma. David grabbed his hook and ripped it from his arm.

«Enough.» he stated.

Hook turned to face him.

«Can't I even ask her one question?»

«You can, but she's already told us she will explain everything tomorrow. Should be enough.»

The two of them glared at each other for some minutes, then Hook gave in. He took back his hook and stepped away.

Emma glanced at Regina, then at her father.

«Thank you.» she said to both of them.

Regina gave her a tiny smile.

«Tomorrow.» she repeated, wrapping then Henry in her arms. «Let's go.» she said, giving Emma one last glance. She headed home with her son.

Emma watched them go with a smile on her face.

Mary Margaret leaned an arm on her shoulders.

«You can sleep at ours, if you want. There's always a room for you, you know it. »

Emma smiled at them, grateful for their love. She nodded.

The three of them walked together to the apartment number three, Emma in the middle, hugged by her parents.