Chapter Nine: Heated Conversation

<pre style="line-height: 17px; white-space: normal; color: #2a2a2a; font-size: 13px;">After several minutes of sitting in Harry's car being dried by the heating system, I started to actually feel dry.

"This was a real cool idea" He commented, loosening his shirt a tad. Unf.

"Don't you mean warm idea?" I stifled a giggle unsuccessfully. I laughed way too hard at my own joke.

Harry chuckled.

"You dry enough, yet?" He asked me. I patted my leggings, feeling if it was still damp.

"Hmm. Dry enough" I mumbled. 

"Cool. Cause I should probably be getting you home now, don't you think?" He asked looking at me with wide eyes. "You're roommate must be worried sick"

If only you knew, bro. If only you knew.

"Yeah. It is like after four" I agreed with him, even though it hurt me to say it. I didn't want tonight to end. I didn't want to leave. "Let me check if she's home though"

I got out my phone, and opened the GPS tracker app. Yes. I could pinpoint Jei's location at anytime, and she could do the same with me, we rarely use it though.

She was downtown.

"And...?" Harry looked at me with eager eyes.

"She's downtown..." I said, praying he'd think what I was thinking.

"I guess we have time to hit one more place then?"

Bingo.

.Harry.

"How about you pick then?" I said, looking over at Nicki. 

She looked at me, pondering the weight of my statement. I could tell that she wasn't confident enough in herself to make some decisions. She went with the flow.

"Uhm. I like candy" She said, a small smile on her face. "The candy shop?"

"Everybody likes candy, love" I let it slip. I couldn't bother trying to act like I didn't like her anymore, because I really did. More than I let myself believe, I think. 

"That's awesome! Let's go there" She said, an exuberant smile on her face. I liked that smile. I looked over at her and smiled back.

Her hair was dry now, but more frizzy than it was curly. I had to resist the temptation to sweep a strand out of her face and tuck it behind her ear.

That's when I remembered that we had planned to go somewhere. I shifted the car in Reverse, and backed out of the parking lot. Out of the blue, I turned on the stereo.

BIG MISTAKE.

"This just in, Harry Styles spotted out and about with a female companion. Is this another one of his flings?"

If the radio was a tangible person, I would've right about slapped it right now. I glanced at Nicki shrewdly. 

"I hate boys like that" She commented, looking at her nails. "Playing girls isn't fun. But you know what's worse than playing a girl?"

I gulped. 

"What?" I didn't want to chance the waters, but what could I do?

"Boys who lie" She began. "I mean its really low, if you can't be honest from the get go" She turned to me. "Innit?"

"Yeah." I shifted uncomfortably. "Awful"

Then something popped in my head to change the subject.

"Nicki, d'you have a boyfriend?" I said. That was impulse okay? I probably shouldn't have said that.

I don't know how it didn't cross my mind before that this amazing girl could actually have a boyfriend. One who would probably flip if he knew what was going on in my head right now.

She was silent. 

Oh crud.

"No. I don't" I sighed a bit in relief. But, another question popped into my head. WHY? She seemed to pick it up, for she continued. "I've never really had one. Except for this one boy that I liked...but he never really liked me back."

"He was real stupid" I said off the top of my head. "You're an amazing girl, Nicki. A boy that can't see that isn't worth it"

I could tell she was blushing. I snuck a glance. She was the cutest thing ever.

"But...do you have a girlfriend?" She asked.

I should've known this would be turned on me.

"Nope." I said. I was telling the truth. But the tabloids had a different idea. Apparently, every girl that I even smile with is suddenly banging me. Sure, I may have had some intentions, but I'm not like that. That's why I didn't want to tell Nicki, I didn't want her to get sucked into the whole vortex that is my "love life".

But that was getting a bit impossible.

"Oh." She said simply. "What's your sob story?"

My sob story. Instantly, Caroline popped into my head. How people were just because of our age difference. It hurts just a bit to still think about it.

"People didn't like to see us together" I said vaguely. I didn't want to get into details.

"Oh. Society stinks" She said. "I hate how judging everyone is these days."

"That's true" I agreed.

"Back when I used to go to high school in Jamaica, one of my bestfriends had it bad with the girls at our school" Nicki said. "I'm glad we moved. Starting over is refreshing"

"Jeida..her name is it?" I remembered that was her roommate's name.

"Yeah. She's awesome. You should meet her one day." She grinned, smiling. Apparently they had a cool friendship.

"You should meet my bestfriend one day too, he's awesome too" My mind flickered to Louis, he was awesome. That was an understatement.

At that moment, it really hit me hard.

I couldn't leave Nicki.</pre>