Chapter 4: Safety

When Sam woke up, the sun was streaming through a few uncovered windows in the kitchen. The rest of the windows had short, handmade curtains pulled closed over them. Sam sat up on the cot, which was pushed into the only space large enough to fit: the aisle between the kitchen cabinets and the hammock where his bother softly snored.

He stood and tiptoed through the bus to Georgie's room as quietly as a 6'4" giant could. Georgie was passed out on her bed, wisps of her hair falling from the bun, and part of the colorful quilt askew, about to fall onto the ground.

Sam gently grasped the blanket and covered her limbs, tucking the ends. Trying not to wake her, Sam gently felt her forehead with the back of his hand, making sure she was a normal temperature. If she came to any kind of fever, it would mean she got an infection, and they would need to take her to hospital immediately to get antibiotics. She was still fever-free.

Georgie stirred slightly, and Sam removed his hand. Her eyes opened and she found him immediately.

Sam gave a soft smile. "Good morning. Sorry to wake you. I'm making sure you don't have a fever."

She nodded. "It's fine, thank you."

Sam looked around the room for a second. "Is there anything I can get you? Meds, clothes, food?" The sunlight glowed from behind the large curtain covering the back door of the bus.

Georgie smiled, "is it too needy to ask for all three? In that order."

"No," he laughed, "that's fine. You don't need to walk until your stitches close." He retrieved water while Georgie counted out the pills. She had asked him to bring her the daily meds which she kept in a drawer in the kitchen. She took her pain medications, and what looked to be a few vitamin supplements and one prescription.

From the bed, Georgie pointed Sam to her closet and asked for a loose shirt and a short pair of shorts that were made of a gentle black material as opposed to thick denim. She also asked for undergarments which he took from a drawer and delivered without making eye contact.

He left while she was getting dressed, her cell phone in his hand with a screenshot of an easy recipe she wanted for breakfast.

He found most of the ingredients pretty easily, putting kale, peanut butter powder, various fruits that were already prepared and portioned in the fridge, protein powder, mushroom powder, and almond milk into a blender with ice. Dean woke up when Sam pressed the button, an out-of-place whirring sound startling him and causing him to instinctively pull a knife.

"Sammy!"

"Morning, Dean." The smoothie finished blending and was a dark purple with green and red flecks of fruit and kale swirling with the motion of the blades. He found the largest mason jar in the kitchen— there were no regular cups— and filled it with smoothie to the brim. There was enough left over to fill a small jar for himself. Leaving Dean alone with his anti-morning person attitude, he brought the drink back to Georgie, who was dressed and waiting. She sat on the edge of her bed, her most injured leg up on the bed and the other skimming the floor.

Her eyes lit up when he handed her the smoothie and she took to the tall metal straw. "Yes, fuck." She seemed to be enjoying it. Sam tried not to react to her words and smiled. "Did I get it right?"

She finished a long drink. "It's perfect," she said, licking her lips.

***

Throughout the day, Dean went into the forest in a wide circle around the bus, checking for signs of anything out of the ordinary. He found that he would easily get stir crazy if he sat in there for too long.