Chapter One: A Kiss From a God

The air bit at my lips, already chapped from the harsh winter recently. I looked down at my jeans and t-shirt, both coated with a layer of dirt that was packed into the stitches. The bus stop bench was dirty too, specks of clay lining it perfectly.

My mind wandered a little once my stomach growled a low guttural noise. I pulled out a handful of dinner mints from my jean pocket that the bus station had in a complimentary bowl a couple of days ago.

Suddenly screams erupted into the air, breaking my comfortable silence.

Instinctively I scrambled up and looked around quickly in a circle, trying to find the source. My feet were bare against the dirt, and little flakes of grass stuck to them.

"Please help!", I heard a shout ahead of me, and saw a man clawing his way up a short tree.

I ran across the road towards him and saw a small brown dog growling at him as if about to attack.

"Get that demon away from me!" He begged loudly and I glanced up to see perfectly round spectacles and a disheveled hair cut covering up the majority of the man's face.

"Shoo! Get!" I pushed at the dog and took some steps toward it.

The dog's paws twitched in fear as I got closer and before I knew it, he had run back down the lengthy road.

I wanted to laugh at the poor man but instead I smiled and reached my hand towards him, "I take it you're afraid of dogs?"

He smiled gratefully at me and took my hand as he jumped down nimbly.

"Oh just a little." He shrugged and stuffed his hands in his pockets.

His brown eyes met mine, and he smiled.

"I'm Micah, and you are?" He took my hand this time.

"Camille." I responded and shook it.

His hands were soft and I had to admit, I didn't want to let go of it.

It had been so long since I'd talked to anyone else, much less shook someone's hand.

He gave me a quick squeeze and looked me over, "Oh Camille, why haven't you got any shoes on your feet? They must be freezing!"

I laughed and glanced down at my own feet, both were decorated with grass and dirt.

He furrowed his eyebrows when I didn't answer immediately and I saw his eyes full of worry.

"Do you have some place to stay?" He asked as he lead me back to my bench.

"Oh, uh, no but I used to. There was a huge fire and I kind of lost my home." I winced at the flashbacks of my mother screaming in pain.

He patted my arm in sympathy but there was a light in his eyes that hadn't been there before.

"Really?" He asked and I met his gaze, "Well you can have my home, I don't really use it much anymore since I'm always traveling. You must take good care of it, Camille." He said smiling at my face.

My eyes widened in astonishment.

"Are you kidding? I can't just, take your home." I said, my mouth wide open in confusion.

"Ah of course you can. It's more of a matter if you will." He pulled out a scrap of parchment and scribbled something on it.

I looked Micah up and down, and noticed he was dressed nicely, with the colors of multiple cultures.

Suddenly he got up and took my hands as I stayed seated.

He shoved the scrap in my hands and leaned down, kissing my forehead.