Chapter Two

CHAPTER TWO

This is all so messed up.

Numb.

That’s how I feel right now.  It’s better than feeling it all.

It’s better than thinking what happened.

I look down at my bloody hands and stare at the big diamond ring in my left hand.

Theo.

‘Ms. Hale.’

It hurts just thinking about him. Why won’t anyone tell me about him?

‘Ms. Hale.’

I need to know he’s alright.

I need to know he’s.. alive.

‘Ms.Hale!’

I raise my eyes and stare at the dark skinned man in a suit.

I look at my surroundings.

All white. Except for the big mirror that covers the wall in front.

I shake my hands, feeling the coldness of the handcuffs against my bare skin.

‘Ms. Hale, this would be easier if you cooperate.’ The man in the suit says making me raise my gaze at him.

‘Where’s Theo?’ I ask, my voice raspy after all the screaming.

‘Ms. Hale. We need you to tell us what happened.’

‘Where’s Theo?’ I ask feeling my eyes tear up and my lips tremble.’ Where is he?’

The detective remains silent before sighing. ‘Mr. Matteus is under intensive care. That’s all I can give you.’ He replies in a hard tone.

I sigh, nodding as tears run down from my cheek into my lap.

‘Ms. Hale. I’m detective Marshall. I’m here to help you, but I need you to cooperate—‘

‘It was supposed to be fun.’ I interrupt him staring blankly ahead. ‘No one was supposed to get hurt,’ I pause feeling a lump in my throat. ‘No one was supposed to die.’

I remain silent, the images of the last five hours hitting me back like a tidal wave.

I start breathing deeply, the stress of it all shocking me just now.

‘Ms. Hale. I need you to remain calm.’ I hear Detective Marshall’s voice from somewhere around me, but I’m too busy trying to breathe.

The Game.

The cabin.