Chapter Seven

CHAPTER SEVEN

Saturday, April 12, 2014

6:30 am.

‘She was dead.’ I whispered, letting the tears roll freely down my cheeks.

Detective Marshall remained calm before speaking. ‘We found Ms. Thompson’s body in the woods.. along with Jason Reeds, and ex-convict.’ He says staring at me.

I nod, letting more tears out. ‘It was me.’ I sob. ‘I killed him.’

I feel Detective Marshall’s hand in my shoulder. ‘It was self-defense, there was nothing else you could’ve do—‘

‘I still killed him.’ I interrupt him in a broken voice. ‘I took his life from him.’

A few seconds pass before I hear a softer voice speak.

‘I heard the gunshot.’ She says with a fearful voice. ‘I thought—we thought..’ She trails off.

Detective Marshall nods understandingly. ‘She’s ok.’ He assures her.

I turn my head and stare into the green eyes of Emilie. ‘I’m just glad you’re ok.’ She cries as she stares at me.

I let more tears down, giving her a small smile. ‘Me too.’

Three hours earlier

Saturday, April 12, 2014

3:30 am

Laila’s POV

I keep running dragging a sobbing Emilie behind me.

‘We have to keep moving Emi.’ I tell her trying to get her to move faster. ‘She will be ok.’ I mutter not knowing if I’m trying to reassure her, or me.

It all happened so fast.

One minute we were hiding behind a rock, the next I know, Spencer is running in a different direction telling us to run as she’s being tailed by one of them.

I lift my hand and wipe the few tears that escape my eyes.

She will be ok.

She has to be.