6

"Where are we?"

They had arrived outside a rundown theatre in the Narrows, and despite the graffiti covering the doors, it was relatively normal.

"The end of the road."

"What do you mean end?"

"It is time to part ways, Ms. Quinzel. You've done your part and now we're through."

Harleen realized how he saw her then. A new toy to play with till he got bored and threw her away. The comparison to an object made her anger rise, but she was determined not to lose her cool again. "So that's it? You're just gonna let me go because I'm not interesting enough anymore?"

"Hardly." He spoke with a trace of a smile in his words. "I would love to keep testing you out. To unlock your full potential. To see how far I could push you till you broke."

Once again her anger was replaced with the chilled wonder and excitement at his words. He had a way of charming her as easily as he could make her tick. It frustrated her deeply.

"But time is dire, and I must plan out my next move."

"You didn't answer my question." She pressed, meeting his eyes in the mirror for the hundredth time. "Why?"

"Because you still have a conscious." His cold gaze bore into her own. "It restricts you. And until it's gone, I have no need of you."

"Well considering it's Gotham, I guess one of us will be dead before that time comes."

He chuckled darkly. "We'll see each other again. Harlequin."

She waited till he got out of the car before rolling down her window. "Fuck you, J." She smirked. "Fuck you."

And before he could reply to his new nickname, she hit the accelerator and sped off. Their time together had definitely been something, but she doubted she'd see him again.

"Selina?"

"Selina?"

Their flat was void of life except for Flea who began to cry for food as soon as she entered and dropped her bag onto the floor.

"Here you go." She murmured as she opened a small can and plopped it into his food dish before going to the small freezer and grabbing a frozen bag of peas to place on her sore jaw. Wincing at the sudden coldness and spike of pain.

"That bastard." She swore under her breath as she changed into stretch pants and a dark red long sleeve. Pulling her hair up into a messy ponytail before plopping onto her bed and pulling out her emergency phone. No new calls or messages and it was starting to get dark. And despite her uncaring bitch attitude, Harleen began to wonder if her friend was alright.

Flea jumped up onto her lap and began to purr loudly. "She's probably out with her mysterious boyfriend." She thought aloud. "The one she never talks about except to rant about how stupid he can be."

She sighed. "Speaking of, I met a guy even more puzzling. Yet he's a self righteous attractive jerk. Serves me right for stealing cars."

Flea grew tired of her ramblings and jumped off as she lay back and felt herself drift off. But she woke up suddenly as she heard Flea began to claw at the window to be let out. And she was suprised to see light already tainting the outside sky. Clearly she had been more tired than she thought if it was already noon.

Just as she stood up to grant the cats' wishes, her phone rang and she hurriedly grabbed it and held it to her ear. "Selina?"

"Who's this?" A coarse British accent spoke through the speaker.

"I'm a friend of Selina's. Where is she?"

"Damn." Came the man's response. "We're at Gotham General. She's been shot."

She almost dropped her phone before snapping out of memories from her parent's death and pulling on her combat boots and a large jacket. "I'm on my way."