four

word count | 1,010
-mentions of murder

"where the hell did you learn to do that?" you watched jd closely as he mimicked heather duke's handwriting perfectly.

"i learned from the very best."

"heather, there's no way i'm writing another fake note for you."

"come on, you used to do it all the time!"

"i told you, my bonnie and clyde days are over. i'm not doing it."

"such a pillowcase, veronica. you're the only one at westerberg who can forge things so well."

"are you sure we'll get away with this?" you tugged on the edge of his jacket to catch his attention. you weren't about to throw away your life for a little bit of chaos, even though you knew it would be a ridiculous amount of thrill. it excited you.

jd turned to you and grabbed the hand you had gripped on his jacket, "listen, baby, i promise things will be fine. they've always been fine before, and i don't plan on changing that with this one."

"you have some stories to tell, don't you?"

his mouth curved upward into a smirk. "of course i do," he folded up the note he had finished seconds before, "here, take this. i'll do the worst part, okay?" your vision become blurry as you took the note from his hands. he placed a hand on your cheek and moved your face up to look at him directly in the eyes. "hey, it's gonna be okay. it gets better, it's always rough the first time. you'll feel better after it happens."

the two of you stood in heather's kitchen, silent, for a moment. you collected your thoughts.

you did want to do this. you wanted heather duke gone, you wanted the popularity chain dismantled.

you wanted the chaos to begin.

"let's do this."

---

it was silent in your house. the clock read 3:46, and the stars outside lit up the living room just enough so you could see your hands. you stared down at them. your fingers moved, but you could not feel them. it was as if you couldn't feel anything at all.

heather duke was dead. you had watched jason dean kill her, watched yourself set it up to look like a suicide, watched yourself get on his motorcycle and wrap your arms around him. the last thing you really felt was his grip on your hand as you lingered on the front porch for several minutes.

"i promise, things are fine. you'll love the chaos. i know you will."

he had sworn that. you weren't too sure about it yourself anymore.

the phone rang. you let the noise fill up your ears before moving to go answer the call. "hello?" you answered. you already knew who it was, and when his voice first came through, you inhaled sharply.

"baby."

"don't," your words came out softly.

"i know. put on a jacket, it's cold out, and hen meet me at the end of your street in 5 minutes."

"jd, you-" he hung up and cut you off short.

you hoped no one would notice if you weren't there in the morning. some voice inside told you that you wouldn't be coming back until after school tomorrow.

"y/n," his voice was soft, yet firm, "i told you it was cold."

"it's not like i can feel anything, anyway, jason."

"don't talk to me like that."

"what did you want?"

"we're going somewhere, and unless you want to walk, you should get on."

you rolled your eyes before getting on anyway. you didn't realize how tight your arms were wrapped around him until he moved one hand from the handles of his motorcycle to grab onto your hands. "that's dangerous," you muttered to him, burying your face against his back, knowing there was no chance of him hearing you over the noise of his vehicle. he squeezed your hand before moving his own back to its original position on the handle.

ohio had plenty of hills. as a child, you would have ran up and down them so many times until your knees were covered with marks; but as a teenager, the only time you bothered to venture to the top of one was now, in the middle of the night with none other than jason dean. "this wasn't your first, was it?" you ask him, the two of you laying down on the cold grass.

"murder? no, it wasn't. nowhere close."

"jesus christ, do you realize how terrifying that sounds?"

he chuckled at you. his smile was the kind that, on any other normal day, would melt your heart. but tonight, it only made you feel more empty. "it was my fourth. if you don't count how i drove my mother to blow herself up," your stone-cold boy was hurt, and you could see it in his face.

you sat up. "hey," you grabbed his hand, "that wasn't your fault."

he gave you a soft smile. "i don't know. i don't know," he stood up, "i thought a lot while i was in the hospital. and i think i did. what mother would ever want to live with a kid who's convinced that life is war?"

"where'd all that come from?"

"veronica. things that she said... it was months ago."

"look at me," you stood up, "i don't know what happened, but i know that none of the things that have happened to you are your fault," he embraced you, resting his head on your shoulder.

"chaos... keeps me sane."

"why?"

"at some point, after so many bad things happen to you..." he pulled back his head to stare into your eyes, "you start realizing that the world won't do anything for you unless you show it how."

"and so you do that with chaos?"

"and so i do it with chaos."

you watched his eyes wander to your lips. jd put his hand on your cheek before leaning in to kiss you.

suddenly, you weren't empty anymore. you were filled with a warmth that no one else would be able to give you except jd.

a/n: am slow at updates but i try. also i think when i started this i was writing more of a movie jd but now we are probably shifting to a musical jd... i don't know. feedback is appreciated <3