Chapter 4

From the moment the treads of his boots hit the ground, Dean was surveying the wreck. Smoke rolled from beneath the hood of a silver car. The red one was smashed to all hell. It was also the moment he started dishing out orders. Who was to go to what vehicle.

     "Alfie." The new recruit was frozen at the sight of blood all over the silver car. "Focus." He tapped the young man on the side of the face. "Go help Cole."

     Alfie gave a small nod, eyes still glued to the silver vehicle. Though he didn't have to be told twice.

     "What'da think?" Benny was at his side as they strode to the first car.

     "We gotta work fast," Dean tested the door. It wouldn't budge. "Alright we need to pry it open. Ash-" Before he could finish Ash had gotten the equipment over to them. "One, two, three." The door screeched in refusal but still popped open with both men prying it. Dean quickly climbed in, taking a glove off to find the woman's pulse. "Hey Jo!" He called out after finding one. She shifted, the blood rolling down her face. "Hey, hey. You're in good hands. I need you to stay calm.

     "M-my son." Her eyes grew wide. "How is he?"

     Shit. He glanced back. Sure enough a young boy was slumped against the beyond-openable door. This was just as Jo poked her head through the passenger side. "I'm here lieutenant."

     "I'll let you take care of her, but I got to get to the boy."

     "The boy? Wait Dean-" But he was already sliding through the small space what the console left and the caved in hood.

The boy's mother was swiftly taken care of. Dean tried to wake him, making sure he was alright. Thankfully the boy opened his eyes.

     "You're alright. We'll get you outta here soon. Can you tell me your name?"

     "J-Jessie."

     "Hi there Jessie, my name's Dean." Jo passed him a collar. "I gotta put this C collar around your neck. Try not to move for me."

     "Okay," Jessie spoke as Dean started to strap the collar around his neck.

     "Does anything hurt?"

     "I... I can't move my arm."

     Dean glanced, sure enough, the boy's right arm was at an odd angle. There was a tap on the window. "My friend Benny, he's gonna have to break the window." Dean slipped off his heavy jacket to place over Jessie. "Wanna be a firefighter?"

     "Yeah."

     "Here," Dean set his jacket over the boy, and for extra measure set his helmet on the boy's head. There wasn't much room for Dean to backup, so when he gave Benny the go-ahead, he turned away. The glass rained onto his back. "Alright Jessie, now here comes one important job for a fireman."

     "What's that?"

     "Getting out." Suddenly the heat burst from the front of the car. Flames reached from under the hood. Dean acted quickly by lifting Jessie and handing him to Benny. Charlie was the one to get him on a gurney. Garth and Ash were suddenly there to help pull Dean out before the others sprayed down the burning car. The man who drove the other car seemed just fine. Staggering with a cut to his head. That made Dean's blood boil much more than a fire ever could.

...

     Benny walked along Dean into the firehouse. The lieutenant rubbing his jaw. "Bad enough the son of a bitch was driving drunk. He didn't have to hit me."