Love

"So that was fun!" Lena says brightly as she gathers up the abandoned wine glasses from around the living room.

"Yeah, it was. Sam seems really nice."

"She's done an excellent job at L-Corp."

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard good things." Kara flashes a smile that doesn't reach her eyes and Lena feels her shoulders drop.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong."

It's said too quickly, and Lena's suspicions grow.

"Kara . . ."

"I'm fine."

"You're not." She sets her collection of dirty dishes in the sink and folds her arms. "I know what happy Kara Danvers sounds like, and that's not it."

"I'm just tired."

"I can go? I know you said you wanted me to stay after, but-"

Kara snorts and Lena gets more frustrated.

"What is it?" She tries to keep her voice level, but it's been a long day, and Kara isn't the only one who's tired.

"You just don't get it do you?"

"Darling-"

"Don't."

"Don't?"

"Don't call me that." There's an icy edge to Kara's voice and Lena draws her arms in tighter as if to shield herself.

They lock eyes for a long moment.

"You don't get to do that." Lena finally says, turning back to the sink in an effort to deflect the tension. "You don't get to act like something is wrong and then doge my questions. If I did something to upset you then I deserve to know what it is. You don't get to just be moody and expect me to figure it out."

There's a long pause and then she can hear Kara moving around the room, picking up. The silence hangs over them like a shroud, and though her hands go through the motions of washing, her mind is racing - wondering if Kara will say anything or if she'll continue to ignore it.

When she's finishes with the last glass, she dries her hands on the dish towel and gathers her purse.

"I think it's best if I go."

"Lee-" Kara's voice stops her from turning the door knob. "I'm sorry."

Slowly, she lets her hand drop and turns to face her friend.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

Kara doesn't answer outright, instead wringing her hands in front of her.

"I don't know how, I think that's part of the problem."

"You're my best friend, Kara, you can tell me anything."

Blue eyes rise to meet green.

"Is that what I am?"

Realization dawns.

"Ah."

"See?! That's what's so frustrating! You're so - so - calm about this!"

Lena's heart pounds in her chest, a direct dichotomy to Kara's words.

"Calm?"

"I kissed you! And you act like nothing has changed!"

"You were going through a rough spot -"

"No." Kara's voice is surprisingly firm. "I want to be clear that I knew exactly what I was doing when I kissed you."

"Kara, you were distraught with grief -"