chapter four: differences

"I mean, it's not like it goes both ways.

There are the people who get hurt and the people who do the hurting."

    ◈ ◈ ◈   

"DON'T TOUCH HIM!" I said in complete disgust, rushing to Tyler, his face flat on the ground.

"Why were you with her? Fucking weirdo." Monty ignores my question, with his eyes focused on Tyler. 

Tyler doesn't reply or move.

 I help him up and carry his bags, "Monty, he didn't do anything, he was just walking with me to my next class because I asked him too. What the hell is wrong with you?" Montgomery stands there, angry.

 "It bothers me just seeing this guy with you. Why is this stalker with you?"

 By this time, the halls were empty.

"Fuck you." Tyler whispers.

Montgomery grabs him by the collar and slams him to the locker. "What was that freak? Didn't catch that."

"I SAID. DON'T. TOUCH. HIM!" I yell, pushing through Montgomery who still had Tyler to the locker, I grab Tyler by the hand.

 "Don't touch or go near him, got that? If you do, you're nothing to me. Oh wait, you kinda already are."

"Harper, please. I'm sorry. Let me explain every-" I cut him off, "No thanks, you had your chance." I finish, walking away with Tyler.  "H-hey. It's okay." trying my best to comfort him leading him outside.

 "You know what. Let's ditch this period, yeah?" I look at Tyler, his eyes are puffy with his button up shirt ruined and tie in his hand. He didn't say anything so I took that as a yes.

"Montgomery De La Cruz, to class now!" Someone said from behind, most likely a teacher who was shouting at him as we leave. 

"I hate that guy." Me and Tyler sat on the bleachers outside, watching the students run across the track while adding a bandaid to his elbow. 

"You got a glimpse of what he does here in school. He does worse things to people, you'll see." He gorans rubbing his head. "He is worse here than he was back in New York."

  I sadly watch students run around the track from the bleachers, remembering when Montgomery had changed then left like nothing. 

"W-what happened? I-if you don't mind me asking." He shyly asks as I adjust his tie back on his collar. "You look to take photos?" I say, looking at his camera bag he places on his lap.

 "Y-yeah." He gives a gentle smile, "It's what I do around here. People here mistaken me as a stalker or a creep. I've changed and people don't see that. 

A lot of things happened a while back and I regret everything. Everything-" He pauses, turning to face me with a lot of hurt in his eyes. "I did. Montgomery and his friends, do so much shit and get away with it." 

"I'm here for you, you know." placing my hand on his lap, he flinches a little bit. "I got your back." giving him the biggest grin I could give. 

"Thank you for what you just did with Montgomery. I appreciate it." A small smile escapes as he takes his camera out of his bag. "Montgomery was my ex when I lived in New York.

 So fucking weird that I end up in the same school he's in. I've been trying to contact him for months!" I sigh, trying to get comfortable on the bleachers. "A fucking douchebag he is, you deserve so much better."