Chapter One

People are so loud. 

That's the first thing that I thought of when I entered the train station. People talking in the same time, babies crying, and other people sobbing. Maybe because they're bidding their loved ones farewell?

However, some are silent. Alone.

Staring blankly ahead, waiting for their train to arrive.

I once read a book where the main character believed that trains and airplanes hold so many secrets. So many stories that are yet to be said. 

Sitting here now with nothing to do, I believe that she was right.

There is boy sitting beside me, burying his head in his hand. I can't help but think, is he running away from something?  Maybe he has responsibilities in another state so that's why he's looking so stressed? Or maybe he's just sleeping?

Eh, maybe.

Sighing, I fish out my phone from my backpack to check the time. 

03:57 AM, it reads.

Only 3 minutes left.

Of course I remembered where the checklist is. We hid it in a childish place. We were supposed to wait a couple of years more to start checking things off. We were supposed to wait for her...

Each time I remember, I feel like someone shoved a dagger in my-

My thoughts are cut off when I hear my mobile's ringtone going off.

Without looking at the caller's ID I press the green icon.

"Yes?" I say.

"Well, hello to you too." My best friend, Liza, answers.

"Uh, sorry."

"Don't be. You're always boring anyway." She laughs.

I smile.

"Where are you?"

"You're calling me at 4 in the morning too ask me where I am?" I raise an eyebrow even though she can't see me.

"You forgot." She says as a matter of fact.

"Forgot what?"

"YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BE HERE 2 HOURS AGO!" Oh. That.

"Things happened."

"Really? Enlighten me then."

"I don't wanna talk about it."

"Too bad you don't have a choice."

I sigh in exasperation. "Okay okay. I'm going to Alabama."

"Wait, why?"

I grit my teeth, "Because Bennett is acting childish."

"Is he, now?" 

"Yes, he is. When I returned home last night, I found a letter from him saying that he went somewhere."

"....Alabama?" She asks after a moment of silent.

"No. He didn't say. He said that I'm supposed to find him. I tried calling his sister but her phone is off, so I'm going there to ask if she knows where he is."

"That's cheating." She says with an accusing tone.

"Is not. I'm just asking for a little help." I start to hear the sound of the train.

"It's cheating and you know it."

"Okay, it is. I'm still asking her. I already bought the ticket, and I can hear the train from here." I say as the sound of the train and the crowd gets higher.