UNI

It was junior prom.

I was putting my shoe back on after dancing around barefoot. They turned the music back to the slow cheesy ones, so I went back to our table.

This night is okay, I decided. I mean sure it could have been a lot better but it could have worse too.

I watched the couples slow dancing for a while.

Someone tapped on my shoulder. I looked up and saw a hand reaching out to me as a form of an invitation to dance. I quickly finished hooking the strap of my shoe then took the hand.

I was excited. I have been trying to get boys to with me to the slow songs. I haven't had much luck, though. Not until now.

The guy who asked was from my class. He is seated beside me at the table tonight. He and his friends came late and ours was the only table with vacant seats.

"Hi" I said as we started swaying to the music. I realized I have never spoken to him before. This is going to be awkward.

"Hi" he replied.

"So..." I racked/raked my brain to find some small talk starters "how is the prom experience so far?"

"Uhh it's okay. How's yours?"

"Good. It's good" I knew it. Awkward.

We stayed in quite an uncomfortable silence for awhile. Until I realized I need to talk to him if I did not want this to be any more awkward.

"I heard some people from our class are planning on going out later. Are you going?"

"No. I don't drink"

"Yeah, me too." Truth be told, I was not invited. Never am.

"Besides, my mom is picking me up, so even if I wanted to, I can't"

"you're not staying at the hotel?"

"Nope. But my teammates are so I might hang out for a while before leaving"

"Oh you play baseball, right? How's that been going on?"

" yeah. The season just ended, actually. We are right in the middle of the rankings. Like always."

We laughed. We continued talking longer than I expected. I was proud of myself for mingling with someone, I am usually really bad at socializing.

When my feet started to ache, I excused myself back to the table. He was kind enough to walk me back.