29

“Alright, on a count of three, I want all of you to start walking towards the door,” Namjoon says quietly, with not even the slightest hints of hesitation

“Alright, on a count of three, I want all of you to start walking towards the door,” Namjoon says quietly, with not even the slightest hints of hesitation. “Since we don’t know the exact source of the gas leak, we’ll have to call the Gas Emergency Services.”

The others shoot him panicked glances, their eyes wide with fear and horror, and Inha studies him warily. “You’re coming too,” she states staunchly, looking ready to fight Namjoon should he resist. “We’re all getting out of here together.”

He sighs. “Inha, of course we are. I’m just going to open those windows, let some air in to counter the gas. It’ll make it easier when the uniforms get here.” But Inha doesn’t waver, leaving the others to glance back and forth between the couple.

“I’m staying here with you till you're done, then,” she declares with a finality which none of them dares to question. Namjoon looks torn; he is painfully aware of how the putrid smell is growing stronger by the second. If they don’t get out now, they will all be in a very precarious situation.

Turning to Jungkook, he looks at him pleadingly. “Jungkook, take her out, please.” The student looks uncertain before he moves towards Inha, who instantly freezes him in place with a ferocious glare. It takes all of Namjoon’s will to exhale peacefully. “Look at me, Inha.” Something in his voice causes her to whip her head towards him and the glower on her face softens. “I promise I’ll be okay. It’s just…I’ll be content knowing you’re out of harm’s way.”

“Namjoon, we can wait here,” Hoseok grits out, unable to merely watch, a determined gleam in his eyes. “We’re not going to run with our tails between our legs while you put yourself in the line of fire, quite literally in this case.”

Taehyung nods, taking a cautious step forward. “Go, do what you think needs to be done. And then we can get out. Together.” And before Namjoon can swallow the lump in his throat, emotions swirling in his head at the fond smiles his friends offer him, Jungkook ambles towards him slowly, a grin on his face.

“It’ll be quicker with two of us."
                                 ***

Yoongi knows something is wrong the minute he hears a muffled thud down the corridor. In the midst of shaking his phone and cursing at the lack of a viable signal, his head snaps around when a suspicious sound reaches his ears. Following his instincts, he backtracks down the silent hallway till his eyes land on a figure lying motionless outside one of the rooms. A strong sense of déjà vu hits him in full force, the image before him an eerily familiar one as he jogs down the corridor.

The unconscious human is Kim Seokjin.

“Hyung!” Yoongi tries to jolt him to consciousness by vigorously shaking his shoulders even though he knows that will do no good. The counsellor does not stir, but the student can discern the steady rise and fall of his chest, and he heaves a sigh in relief. He's still alive. Swivelling his head, Yoongi is surprised when he realizes what room it is. Professor Park’s office. The door is slightly ajar, and he kicks it open, half-expecting to find the head of department dead on the floor.