Chapter 18

I was so relieved it was over, well at least my part that I was able to help with was. Now Gray, his team and the FBI would be working together to find out who was behind Reese's attempt to stop the launch.

Over the next couple of days I still continued to work from home until I got the all clear. Gray had pretty much disappeared with the authorities as they knew whatever was going to happen would be soon with only a week until the launch.

Three nights after Reese had been to my apartment I got it. The call that said this was over, they had Gray in custody and he was singing like a canary. Our lives could finally return to normal...but did that mean that my normal would be a life without Gray? I had so many questions and I didn't want to focus on the ones about Gray and my... well whatever it was so I decided to get answers on the ones of why Reese had done this. I called Gray.

"You caught Reese?" I asked as soon as he picked up, "what about whomever put him up to it?"

"Yes we have them both at the FBI HQ in the city, in holding for interrogation."

"I wanna talk to Reese."

"No Fleck!"

"Yes Gray! I want to know why, so either you give me the address or I will find it on my own but either way I will be there shortly!"

I heard his irritation as he sighed at me, knowing I would do what I was threatening, "5598 Elm St., 4th Floor. Ask for me at the deak and they will send for me."

"I'll be there shortly" I said as I hung up and called Mikey to have him bring the town car around.

Changing into a pair of dark jeans, hoodie and comfy runners I grabbed my keys and threw the dogs each a treat as I headed out the door. Mikey was waiting as expected out front as I exited the apartment complex, giving him the address of our destination I climbed in and got settled in the back.

The city was quiet at this time of night as we sped down the now almost empty streets, only occasionally encountering another car. As we pulled up outside of our destination, I waited for Mikey to open the door but assured him that Gray was waiting for me inside so didn't need to accompany me. Following Gray's directions I took the elevator to the 4th floor and asked for him at the desk that I encountered as soon as I stepped off the elevator.

It took a couple of minutes but soon Gray was striding down the connecting hallway towards me, giving me a curt nod, he turned on his heel and led the way back through the maze of corridors until we stopped outside solid steel door.

"You know you don't have to do this?"

"I know but I need to." and turning I opened the door letting myself into the room.

Reese was sitting casually at the table but looked up with interest when I entered, slowly a smirk creased his face, "Are you the secret weapon for interrogation?"

"Hardly! I simply wanted to know why?"

"I already told them everything."

"Good, now tell me."

"Why what? Why try and stop the launch? Why make an attempt to get in your pants? You're going to have to be more specific" he said crassly, likely in an attempt to scare me off.

"All of it, but let's start with why you would try to stop the launch."

Looking hard at me he gave a huge sigh, "I had to. I like to gamble and lost some money to the wrong people, this was what they wanted to call us square or I was going to end up dead."

"So nothing personal, eh?"

"Not that part anyway."

"So what part, when did you decide to make it personal with me? I don't underst-"