Chapter 1 - The Big Day

November 27, the day I have been dreading for five months.  My dad got a job offer, that he claims he couldn't deny.  The idea of going to a new school, mid semester makes my stomach ache.  South Hill High School, is one of those schools where every body has known everybody since they were little kids.  My sister, Sofia, will have no problem making new friends though, unlike me.

A few kids have sent me welcoming messages, saying how excited they are to have me join their class.  It made me feel a little bit better to know that the students seemed pretty warm and friendly.  Some of them stood out the most though.  Jessica told me  that she has been going to the school since the very beginning and that she could use a fresh friend.  Eric said that he was so excited to become friends.  Angela said that she transferred last year, and it was a lot easier than she expected.  Mike asked me if we could be best friends.  I was surprised by how kind these emails were, but I couldn't imagine that they would all just accept me so fast without even knowing me.

Watching the movers load up all of our  boxes into their truck is making me sad.  I have lived at this house from when I was a baby until now.  We have so many memories here that I am going to miss.  My extended family also lives here and I can't imagine living across the country from them.  A few of my cousins live close to us in California, so I'm hoping we become good friends.

"Time to go!"  Dad says from the car that is pulled out of the driveway.

"Coming."  I quickly kiss one wall of every room.  A couple of tears start to swell up in my eyes but I quickly blink them back because I don't want to make my family even more upset.

"Are you sure you don't want me to drive?"  Mom asks.

"I'm sure, we are going to miss our flight if Sofia doesn't come out in the next two minutes."

I hadn't even realized that Sofia wasn't in the car.

"I can go get her."  I offered.

"No, that's okay she should be out soon."  Mom replies.

As we were waiting for Sofia in the car, I tried not to think about leaving the house, my family and friends.  I tried to think more positive thoughts.  I thought about the reassuring messages and hoped that maybe this wasn't going to be so bad.  But, by the time Sofia made it in the car my stomach ache had come back and I started to blink back my tears again.

Our flight was on time and we boarded with tear shot eyes.  As we took off I felt such a longing to just jump out the window and fall into the comfort of my home.  As I was going through nostalgic memories in my head I was abruptly interrupted by a jolt that ran through my body.  I had no idea what was going on but for some reason I felt like everything would be okay.  It was a feeling of reassurance that didn't feel natural.  It was like somebody was messing with me.