Chapter 45

Chapter 45

Split

The doctor left us dumbfounded. They tried to apologize but we were too consumed by our anger. How could they not notice that tumor!?

One of the best hospitals but the doctors couldn't even do their job well. How fucking nice.

Maven was gritting his teeth, his fists are closed. Dad closed his eyes, Mom was crying. We were all devastated by the bad news. I couldn't move an inch. My heart was stinging, tears kept on streaming down my face. A lot of what-ifs kept on flooding my mind.

No one talked. There was just silence.

Bakit?

Iyan lang ang tanong na tumatak sa isipan ko.

I was living a happy life. A happy family, happy friends and a happy love life. I had problems but.. those were easy to fix. This one is different. This one is filled with uncertainties. I don't like uncertainties. I am tired of it.

No one saw this coming. Napakagat ako sa aking labi habang pinapawi ang luhang tumutulo sa mata ko.

This is why I'm scared of being happy. I get too scared whenever I reach the peak of my happiness, I don't want this extreme euphoria to be taken away from me. And now, I just lost it again.

Why does it have to be my mother? Tumayo ako mula sa pagkakaupo ko at sumakay sa elevator. Punong-puno ng luha ang aking mga mata. All the people coming in the elevator were staring at me. But I didn't care. I was too tired to even care.

Too numb to even care.

Nang makarating ako sa pinakataas, dumiretso ako sa chapel. I knelt and prayed to him. I prayed with my heart. I prayed and cried. Tears were the only ones that could ever express what was it that I was feeling.

She is my first friend. She taught me how to walk, speak, draw and she was with me in every step of the way. She has been in my life since I was born and she will always be in my life no matter what happens.

My mother without doubt is one of the most important person in my life. I cannot in any way afford to lose her.

I wouldn't be ready to lose her. How could I when she was the one who rocked me to sleep when I couldn't, patched me up as a clumsy kid and eased my heartaches as a teen?

I remember every single memory of my mother and I. How we watched Sherlock Holmes until midnight. How we fan girl over Benedict Cumberbatch. I remembered every single bit of it.

My mother feels my pain before I could even realize it. She doesn't show it that much but I know it. I can feel it. She would always sense when my heart is troubled.. then, she would come to my room and sing my favorite lullaby so I could have a peaceful sleep.

She may not be perfect. She may be irritating at times. She may be manipulative but she is my mother. One of the person I could never live without.

No one would ever be ready to lose their mother. I would never be ready.

Then it hit me, I have been a very bad daughter these past few days. I was disrespectful to her and I just couldn't stop being mad of myself for doing that. How could I do that to the woman who gave birth to me?