Level the Playing Field

It's important that I keep reminding myself that my name is Nellwyn Spencer. And, you know, it was a while ago, at least to me, that I had screamed out to my mother that I could hear her. It felt like so long ago, and I suddenly found myself wondering if it would ever reach the real world, or how long it would take for that to happen. Would I scream it when I woke up? Or would I whisper it into the air out of a sleeping body? Again, I don't know why all of this was suddenly important, considering I found myself in the empty halls of my high school.

"Great. Just where I wanted to be." I grumbled, looking around for someone. Anyone. "If this is my memory, then it's a specific day. An important day. So what?" I walked forward a few steps, pausing when an announcement came over the intercom.

"There is an intruder in the building." My principal's voice said. "Remain locked in the classrooms. The authorities are taking care of it." He assured the empty school.

"...Crowley." I muttered.

"You rang?" He appeared in front of me.

I jumped a bit and glared at him.

"So... this is that day?" I asked.

"Almost." Crowley looked around. "Only... I'm not the intruder." He admitted. I gave him a look. "That... is the same message from that day, but... you have an intruder up here." Crowley poke my forehead. I was confused, until I heard a shout and saw someone fly into a wall on the other side of the hall. Crowley turned to look as that demon version of me rounded the corner.

"Long time no see!" She waved.

"We should run." I muttered.

"No weapons?" Crowley looked at me.

"What do you think!?" I snapped. Crowley rolled his eyes and set a hand on my shoulder and we were suddenly in a staircase in a different part of the school.

I paced the floor.

"I already hate this memory and as if things couldn't get any worse for me that... that-"

"Bitch?" Crowley offered. I looked at him and let out a deep sigh.

"Sam and Dean are here. Somewhere. That means the Impala is here." I said.

"Makes the most sense." Crowley shrugged.

"That means we can get some weapons." I smiled and nodded.

"We?" Crowley chuckled. "Fighting your bad side wasn't in my job description." He shoved his hands in his pockets.

"Well then what are you even doing here?" I asked.

"Again, asking me when you should be asking you."

"You're here to... help me. I don't know, just help me!" I snapped.

"Well with that attitude..." Crowley vanished. I let out a frustrated scream.

I took a few calming breaths.

"Okay. Okay! What do I have to do? Kill her? Me? Whatever that... thing is." I started down the stairs. I burst out onto the first floor and ducked when I heard the cocking of a gun. A bullet hit the wall where my face was.

"Oh, instincts! I like it." the other me smiled. I pushed myself up, holding up my hands, defenseless.

"Can we at least level the playing field?" I muttered. She stared at me for a moment before smirking and putting her gun away. "What's you name anyway?"

"Let's go with Nell." She shrugged.

"Really..." I muttered.

"Think fast!" Nell laughed, she swept up her hand and I was lifted, thrown down the hall. I rolled and hit a wall of lockers. I groaned, looking up and seeing Nell walking towards me with a smile on her face. I pushed myself up.

"Gabriel." I hissed into the air. She pulled her gun. I moved before she shot and sprinted down the hall. "GABRIEL!" I shouted.

A classroom door flew open in front of me and a hand shot out, pulling me through. I fell and rolled into... grass? I was outside? I looked up and Gabriel pulled me up. We were behind the school.

"Told you. If you need me, just holler." He smiled.

"Yeah. It's just usually things don't go that easy for me." I dusted myself off.

"Well, your high school is now the thunder-dome!" Gabriel smiled. He pointed and I followed his pointing, seeing the impala sitting in the parking lot. "Suit-up butter-cup." Gabriel said. I smiled.

"Oh, Baby! I've never been happier to see you." I ran to the car and hugged the hood with a sigh. I pushed myself up and ran my hand along the car on my way to the trunk. "Time to level the playing field..." I opened the trunk.

I grabbed a revolver, a pistol, a shotgun, a machete, and a pocket knife.

"I'm feeling way more confident. Hey, Gab-" He was gone. I stared out at the empty parking lot and rolled my eyes. "Fine. I'll do this by myself." I said, slinging the shotgun onto my back. "How do I get back in there?" I muttered.

"You don't have to." I saw Nell where Gabriel was just standing.

"Lets dance then." I got into the Impala and slid over to the drivers seat. The keys were in the ignition, I started the car. "It's been a while since I've driven this..." I took a breath and put it in drive, slamming on the gas and driving towards Nell. She disappeared before the car hit and I screamed, closing my eyes as I drove into the back door.

The impact never came. I turned the wheel and the car skidded to a stop in the middle of a road surrounded by forest. I looked around.

"That might be why Dean doesn't let me drive..." I muttered. "Carefully this time." I said, pressing on the gas and driving down the road. "Task. Find Nell. Kill her."

"If you want to catch a demon, think like one." I jumped at the voice. Crowley was sitting in the passengers seat.

"Oh now you want to help!?" I snapped.

"You clearly don't know how a demon thinks. You think she's just going to show herself after you made the game even?"

"Hey I know how a demon thinks, I'm half demon!" I shot.

"With this attitude I'm surprised you've gotten anything done. Oh wait. You've barely done anything." Crowley shot back. I glared at him for a while.

I let out a long sigh.

"Fine. I'm sorry. I... I guess I could use some help." I muttered.

"That's more like it." Crowley chuckled. "Now. Your memories are... unpredictable."

"Understatement."

"Try focusing. Think of where you want to go. Dig deep." He said.

"I don't want to dig deep. I want to get out of here."

"That's your problem. You want this to be easy." I scowled at the unending road ahead of me. "Where would you go. You want revenge? You're mad? Filled with hatred? Channel that." He told me.

"I... I don't know." I was getting frustrated.

"When's the last time you felt that way."

"Asmodeus. My dad. When my family-" I paused. "Is she at my house?" I looked to Crowley. He didn't say anything, absentmindedly picking at his finger nails. I made an annoyed face and sped down the road.

It was time to go home.