Chapter 3

"An Unexpected Kiss"

            I woke up early on Sunday morning and decided to go for a run. I got up as quietly as I could and changed into some shorts and a tank top. I quickly threw my hair up into a bun and grabbed my phone before walking out.

            No one was up yet so I tried to be as quiet as possible. I walked into my dad’s office and went to his drawer. I always kept a pair of headphones in there. I grabbed them and plugged them in before going down stairs and going out the front door. I quickly put the headphones in my ears and left.

            I put my music on shuffle and ran out onto the road. There was hardly anyone driving down this road so I didn’t have to really watch out. I was only running for a few minutes when I reached the edge of the board walk. I slowed down to a jog and looked around. It looked like they were starting to put the fair together.

            I loved the fair. It always made me happy. All the rides, and the food, and the games. I loved to play games and get stuffed animals. One year I played every game and went home with fifteen stuffed animals. You should have seen my dad’s face. Priceless!

            I ran all the way to the end of the board walk and slowed down. From my house to the end of the boardwalk was two miles. I could feel my legs starting to turn to jelly. I turned around to run back and saw a familiar face. I ran back to him and tapped him on the shoulder.

            “Hey,” I said.

            “What are you doing here so early,” Dustin asked me surprised.

            “I wanted to go for a run. What about you,” I asked.

            “I couldn’t sleep and I needed to do something,” he said. I just nodded and walked silently beside him. “Aidan didn’t come with you?”

            “No. He’s still asleep,” I said.

            “That’s a surprise.”

            “Why,” I asked curiously.

            “Because he likes to attach himself to your hip,” he said with a frown.

            “What’s that supposed to mean?”

            “He doesn’t want anyone around you. Every time I go near you he practically growls at me,” he said.

            “Can you blame him?”

            “I guess not but it’s starting to piss me off. I’m your friend. I deserve to be able to at least talk to you.”

            “Well we’re alone now so what do you want to talk about?”

            “You and Aidan. You’re happy with him?”

            “Yes,” I said giving him a weird look. “I love him.”

            “But does he make you happy?”

            “Extremely,” I said. He looked almost disappointed.

            “I don’t get why you’re tying yourself down right when you’re going to college,” he said with a shake of his head.