Chapter 14

"The Riley's"

Kayla’s POV:

            I was so scared. Aidan’s mom had always loved me but I didn’t know how she was going to take this. I really didn’t want her to hate me. What was really scaring me was the fact that Aidan was scared. He was trying to hide it but I could see how scared he was.

            “Are you ok,” I asked him as I slid into his lap.

            “Yeah,” he said quietly.

            “Are you scared of what they’ll say,” I asked him.

            “A little. I just don’t want them to be disappointed in us,” he said sadly.

            “I’m sure they won’t. You’re parents are great,” I said trying to be enthusiastic.

            “I know but I’ve never gotten anyone pregnant before,” he said with a sigh.

            “Well I really hope so or you have some explaining to do,” I said as I kissed the top of his head.

            “Aren’t you scared,” he asked me.

            “Terrified,” I said honestly.

            “Why?”

            “Because I would hate it if your mom hated me.”

            “I don’t think she could ever hate you,” he told me.

            “I hope not. I’ve started to think of her as my mom. To lose her would be devastating,” I said just as sad.

            “She would never hate you,” he tried to assure me.

            “We can hope,” I said. Then I heard a car door shut and I slowly got up before walking to the front door. When I opened it I saw Aidan’s parents, two brothers, and his baby sister were all here. Mrs. Riley looked at us for a minute before walking over to us.

            I was really scared of what she would say so I remained silent. After a minute of looking at us she wrapped her arms around me and hugged me tightly. My eyes widened in surprise before I hugged her back just as tightly.

            “Are you ok,” she asked when she pulled back.

            “A little scared but over all I’m ok,” I said back honestly.

            “Good. I can’t say I’m pleased with this situation but we’re here to help. And we brought you a surprise,” she said with a big smile on her face.

            “What,” Aidan asked looking scared.

            “I know she isn’t a newborn but she’ll work,” she said as she grabbed Mary and handed her to me.

            “You want us to take care of her,” I said surprised.

            “Yes. It’ll give you practice,” she said happily.