Chapter 15: Almost Like It Was Before

Hiccup was cleaning out the stables the next morning, trying to return to normal. Surprisingly, he didn't find it very hard. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw red curls bounce through the doorway. "G'morning, m'lady!"

"Hey, Hiccup!" she called. However, unlike usual, well, usual as of several months ago, Merida went up to Hiccup instead of grabbing a horse and passing through. Hiccup looked up, face already covered in dirt.

"I just wanted to say that it was really brave of you to tell everybody about- your condition," Merida said, looking down at him.

"Thanks?" Hiccup said. Merida was making it very hard to return to normal. She never complimented him.

There was an awkward silence. Just say it, Hiccup thought.

"I lo-" he started.

"I know," replied Merida, cutting him off.

She didn't answer. Hiccup looked down at his feet. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, Merida spoke.

"The suitors are competing tomorrow..." Merida bluntly stated. Hiccup knew what she was implying.

"Right," he said awkwardly. "Sooo, you decided you were going to accept it?"

"Yep," Merida said, sighing. "As my mother said, every other princess has had to marry one of the competitors, so why should I be any different?"

Hiccup coughed to cover up his laughter. Merida was definitely different than her mother. Or her grandmother. Or any of the royal women.

"So," she said slowly. "I guess I'll see you tomorrow? At the competition?"

"Yeah," he sighed shortly.

She awkwardly fumbled out of the stables.

Hiccup sighed. Once she got married, she would move into a town home until she was to take the throne. Hiccup would practically never see her again until she was ruling over him.

He abandoned his work to walk about the castle, which he could do now that he had the title of a hero. He walked over to the library so he could keep his mind off things. What did he want to learn about today?

He ran his fingers along the spines of the books as he walked through the aisles. Suddenly, something caught his attention. It was a colossal book covered in stains that was falling apart. The title in gold print, which was almost completely faded away, read Rules of the Kingdom. He opened the index.

His eyes were drawn to a section called "Privileges of Titles". He went to a subtitle under that section to see a segment called "Privileges of Heroes". He turned to the page printed beside it. He skimmed over the section. It looked rather boring. Suddenly he jumped in his chair. He read the paragraph again to make sure he hadn't imagined it.

"Those people who have to their status the title of 'hero' are granted special permission to compete for the hand of royalty within the age range described as acceptable on page 739."

An idea began to form in Hiccup's mind.