{}|- 1 -|{}

The book store was empty, as it always was during this time of day. 

Shelves lined the walls, a few shorter ones made rows down the middle. The shop was small, cozy with its tiny sitting area of two arm chairs and a coffee table. In the back was a small counter with a cash register and chalkboard filled with names of pastries and drinks. The glass case built into the counter showing the menu items. 

Warm caramel colored walls matched well with the dark wood of the shelves and counter.

Behind the cash register was a tall guy with light brown hair and dark blue eyes. His skin almost matched the walls, but was just a shade or two darker. He was lanky and skinny, though what he did have was muscled. In the uniform he wore, a brown apron, white shirt, and blue-jeans, he matched the shop well. 

He spaced out, thinking about different things while watching people through the glass door and windows. 

That was one of his favorite pass-times, people-watching. 

He noticed funny things, weird things, sad things, all of them. 

When two people stopped in front of the window and started making faces he scowled. They came inside the small shop, the ringing bell above the door echoing. 

"Hey there, Lance! Your shift almost up?" The taller one spoke up, his voice was deep but kind and energetic. His dark hair was cut short, shorter than the guy behind the counter, and tied back with a yellow bandana. He was big, broad shouldered and tall. So he took up a lot of room in the tiny store. He wore a yellow shirt with a green vest that contrasted against his darker skin tone. 

"Yeah! I want you to test some things for me." The smaller of the pair spoke up, not taking her eyes off of her phone. Her tiny fingers typed away, so fast they almost blurred. Her round glasses almost started to fall off her sharp nose, but the big guy pushed them up. "Thanks." She murmured, still not looking up. Her green sweater and cargo shorts would have looks weird on anyone else, but with the tiny scientist they looked cute. Her pale face was drawn in focus. 

The boy behind the counter sighed, tired. "Yeah almost, but you know that just means I have to go across town to the shelter." He blinked. "And Pidge," He glared playfully while raising an eyebrow. "what 'things' am I testing? The last 'test' you ran on me, my tongue was purple for a week!" 

The girl waved her hand, shaking her head, the dirty blonde mess bouncing. "No. It was purple for six days, not seven." She stated matter-of-factly, then a grin took up her face. "And trust me the results of this test won't be so noticeable." 

"Run it on Hunk!" Lance protested, motioning to his bestfriend since high school. "He'll eat anything." 

Hunk patted his belly with a small smile, as if he was thinking of eating something right then. 

"Can't, he's already testing something for me." Pidge pushed her glasses back up and smirked. Hunk paled and started asking what he was testing, not aware of ever saying she could run a test on him. 

Lance chuckled, grinning as he started to wrap up his shift. The replacement, Shiro, walked in just as Lance took off his apron. 

Shiro was tall, about half an inch taller than even Hunk, and had black hair expect one spot in the front where it was dyed white. He had a thin scar over his nose, and was extremely ripped. But somehow he just came off friendly and kind. 

"Hey there guys." Shiro said, stretching. He reached behind the counter and took one of the aprons, his white shirt already on. "What's up?" 

"Pidge apparently is doing a test on Hunk, but he doesn't know what it is." Lance filled in the older guy. He only had a few years on the others, but they all had deemed him the dad of the group. Lance even went as far as to get Shiro a shirt saying 'Number One Dad', and somehow it had become one of Shiro's favorites to wear. "What's up with you?" He ducked behind the door to the back room of the shop to change his shirt.