Chapter 50

"You've got to be kidding me," I groaned. First Carter and now Hayes? What was I going to tell Matt and Shawn?

I locked my car doors and rested my head in my hands for a moment.

Suddenly, there was a sharp tap on my window and I let out a huge breath of relief.

Hayes was there, soaking wet but alive.

I unlocked the car and let him in. "Hayes! Where the hell were you? I thought you were sleeping! Why did you leave?"

Hayes looked slightly embarrassed as he dried his hair with the towel in the backseat. "Sorry Abrielle. I woke up and I uh.... Needed to go to the bathroom." He pointed to the trees at the side of the highway.

I pulled onto the highway and headed towards the hospital. Hayes fidgeted next to me in a nervous silence.

"Is Carter okay?" He blurted out.

I scratched my wrist and sighed. "He's.... Got the mind of a five year old. The drugs the hospital were giving him mixed with the ones in his system and caused some sort of brain reaction. Shawn and Matt found him at a playground."

Hayes nodded and we drove to the hospital.

We parked and entered the hospital keeping an eye out for Matt and Shawn, and maybe even part of Magcon.

I approached the reception desk. How many times have I been here this summer? I lost count.

"Hi... I'm here to see Carter Reynolds." I spoke quietly to the big red-haired lady at the desk. She gave me a friendly smile and motioned us to follow her.

"Ah yes, our little runway!" She waved a finger in the air. "I believe your friends returned him. We're just settling him down now."

We went on an uncomfortable elevator ride, mostly because me and Hayes were squashed up against the wall while the nurse cheerfully hummed the elevator tunes.

"We had to put him on the third floor so the little rascal wouldn't get out again!" The nurse explained as the doors opened.

"Will his brain be alright?" Hayes asked anxiously.

"That's a question for the doctor sweetheart, not me."

He huffed impatiently and we followed the nurse to his room, at the back of the hallway.

"Here you are!" She smiled and opened the door to let us in.

"Shawn!" I threw myself into his arms, not realizing there were other people in the room that I was surprised to see, like Reese and Carlie.

"Guys! What are you doing here?" I cried, throwing myself in their arms as well.

Reese laughed and patted my back. "We broke up with our boyfriends."

I gasped and stepped back. "You what?"

"We broke up with our boyfriends!" Carlie giggled, brushing the hair out of her face.

"Why?"

Reese gave me a kind smile. "We were careful not to mention, uh, what is it called? Magcon? Yeah, we were careful not to mention it. We just told them we wanted to see other people. But I could tell they knew."

My mouth fell open. "Wow, Taylor and Cameron must be pissed. How do you guys feel about it?"

Carlie shrugged. "I don't really mind it. They were jerks anyways."

I nodded. "Good. How's Carter?"

Matt actually pulled a smile. "He's a lot better. They sedated him and put him on different medicine. We'll just have to see what his brain is like when he wakes up."

I grinned and sat down next to Shawn, who took my hand and intwined it in his. Out of the corner of my eye, Matt gave Reese a shy smile.

The door opened and a tall guy in a doctor coat stepped in. "Hello? This is room 406? You kids got a message from the front desk." He held out a typed piece of paper addressed to Carter's room.

"Thank you," Reese said, politely dismissing the man while taking the paper. Shawn took the paper out of her hands and carefully unfolded it.

He read it out loud,

"You have until midnight to get here. Same place. Abrielle's and Shawn's siblings are with us. And this time, we have real guns.

Signed, M.

-----

Ahaha cliffhanger! I'm so evil >:)

Woo! And it's the 50th chapter!

Thank you so so so so so much for over 5k reads! You have no idea how much it means to me that SS is progressing this quickly.

Love you guys!

-Sophia💕