|1|

" Tu hi tu har jagah aajkal kyun hai?
Raaste har dafaa, sirf tera pataa, mujhse pooche bhalaa..... kyun hai? "

The entire bogie, has got only one job right now.
Gawk at me.

And I've got a better job. Ignore.

Balancing and stumbling, I make my way to the seat at the corner.

Empty as usual. As if waiting for my arrival.

Don't people sit here anymore? Does it forever remain empty? For, me? For.... us? For some scattered memories?

Metro rails. A thing I hated, so very much, once upon a time.

Yeah. Once upon a time. Until I....met him.

By the way, I am Shayara Bhattacharjee. A PDT in Cardiology.

I treat heart disorders. But, my heart is the most disordered on earth.
Baba says.

One more thing. I'm getting married today.

The entire compartment is gaping at me because, I'm all clad in a Banarasi Saree, and overtly decorated with traditional ornaments.
They have probably guessed, I'm eloping from my marriage.

If only, I could.

" Ek pal pyaar ka, zindagi se badaa, aisa mere khudaa kyun hai? "

I had, one last wish, before being sentenced to death. Yeah, that's what this wedding looks like, to me.

The wish being, I'll reach the Mandap by myself. Walking on paths, I choose. And not with my family. Not on paths, they choose.

My generous family has agreed to this after a huge mental tug-of-war. However, they had no choice. I had demanded nothing absolutely, since the marriage came on the cards.

Being a very obedient girl, I readied myself for the occasion. Huh! Just like we do.... when our neighbours get married. Buy clothes and jewelleries, lip colors and nail paints.

Just that, in this case, it's not a neighborhood issue.
I'm sure I'd be more interested, had it been though.

A Sunday.

Therefore, the train is very losely packed. I stare outside the window... dark tunnels swipe by.....pulling me back along.

••

" Bhoww! Bhooooot! "
He said pointing at the darkness outside.
I was already fighting with the speed. All I did was cling onto his hands. And there,he had started being childish again.

" Shut up Agni! Here I'm struggling , and why do you always have to be so kiddish? "

" Saradin boro boro gari chore ghurle toh erokomi hobe mamoni!! ( go making rounds in big cars, you'll lose balance this way in public transports) " , he winked at me.

I tried to slap his head, and in the process lost balance leaving his hand.

As always, he grabbed my waist and made me stand straight. I grinned sheepishly.
He made a puppy face.
" Don't cling on to me as if I'm your boyfriend. Mr. Arunangshu Bhattacharjee will chop me to pieces and have me for breakfast. "

I brought my lips close to his ears. My height wouldn't match his. I had to grab his hand with both of mine and stand on my toes to reach him.

" As if!
We'll run and get married.
Marriage on the runs! So thrilling!
All you need to do is, not forget to reach the airport when we elope, Mr Lazy Bones!! "

" Why plane? Why not metro?? "

••

Someone is pulling my pallu, bringing me back to senses.
A little girl now sits on the empty seat beside me, on her mother's lap. And is staring at me. Most importantly, her mother too is gawking the same way. And doesn't even stop the kid from mercilessly pulling my pallu.

Helplessly, I nudge her cheeks, and she let it go.

I'll be bashed big time, when I reach the marriage hall.

Because, the coats of paint layering my skin, will be drooling down my neck by then. And I'll look like a zombie from the graveyards.

••

" Chhii, Agniiii!!! Tui ki pagol?? Tui ki satyi e pagol???? (Yucckk, Agni! Are you crazy?? Are you really crazy????) "
I kept protesting as I was helplessly dragged through puddles of muddy water, by the mad individual holding my hand...heading towards Maidan.

" Chup kor. Ei kadamakha obosthay ki osombhob bhalo photo shoot hobe, dekhle chomke uthbi.
(Shut up! You will be stunned to see how amazing the photo shoot turns out to be, in this muddy attire) " , he casually uttered.

July, and Kolkata had just got drenched in showers.
Soon after which, Mr Agnimitra Das, has pulled a sleepy me down my temporary hostel room, made me sit in the common room, and decked me up in a gazzilion antiquities!

And right now, I was being pulled along like a goat to the immense Maidan, for an after rains photoshoot by Mr. Cinematographer!

" Ki ar korbo bol, ekhono toh struggle e korchi ei line a, tai tor moto bhoot petni k model banate hoy.
( My bad luck, that I'm still struggling in this industry, hence have to portray such an ugly model like you) "

He threw the overused, cliched dialogue, upon finding a good spot below a tree, and setting up his equipments.

I had really turned a ghastly woman by then, thanks to the mud and the humidity after the rains, and thanks to Agnimitra for his weird and crazy ornaments and ideas for photoshoot.

All I did was twist my lips,
" Jedin biye korbo, sedin o erokom bhoot petni seje kada mekhe korbo. Sedin o tor kache kono second option thakbe na.
( The day we'll get married, I'll look equally this ghastly, and even then, you won't have a second option.) "

He winked,
" Dekha jak! (Let's see!) "

••

The announcement breaks my trance.

" Maidan arriving. Head to the right gate. "

I get up. Balancing myself and stumbling, I slowly reach the gate.

I've got no one, to cling onto, this afternoon.

The gate opens.
I get down.
Look around to realise, I've not been to this station, for almost a year and a half now.

" Soona soona mann ka hai kona, Soona soona tere bin hona,
Har kaheen par tu hai, tu nahi par tu hai, o bekhabar tu hai, har modh par..... "

Mr Agnimitra Das, tonight, before I permanently turn someone else's, I've decided to walk along the path again, that we routinely used to traverse, together, once upon a time, until.....you left, without looking back.

-----

Cont..