Chapter 34

Ever since I was little, I loved everything about a new year. 

I loved the celebrations and festivities, I loved making resolutions, I loved listening to the countdown before the fireworks and, most of all, I loved the surge of hope it brought. 

My parents always took us out on the night of the 31st of December, even if it was a simple dinner at a restaurant. My mom had always told me to make a wish that night and as I grew older, she told me to clung on to the hope I felt that night throughout the year and through the worst times in that year. 

"Everything will get better," she'd say. "And if it doesn't, you'll always get to have a new beginning when the year ends." 

I kept her words in mind, always. When Adam went away, I may have slacked for the months after that, but when the new year arrived, I was refreshed. I didn't want to carry the baggage of the previous year with me into the new one. It wasn't easy, but I was satisfied with the way things had turned out towards the end.

Even though I had rejected the guy I'd waited months to ask me out. Still, I didn't regret my decision. The excitement and optimism inside of me now was worth it. I wanted to start anew and a year after I met Jason was the perfect time.

"Kirsten!" I turned to look at Noah, his eyes clouded with worry. "Is everything okay?"

I nodded. "Perfect."

He still looked doubtful, but seemed to shrug it off. "We're here."

I looked outside to see that the car was parked in the school parking lot. "Oh. I didn't realize."

I unbuckled the seat belt and was about to leave when Noah spoke up. "Kirsten. You can always come to us for anything. You know that, right?"

I nodded.

His eyes searched mine. "So, everything is okay?"

I nodded again. I knew what he was referring to. It wasn't everyday you came home from a school dance to find your sister asleep whilst sitting with her knees against her chest, cheeks sticky due to dried tears. Noah had found out from my friends that Jason had left the dance to see me. He expected to see a happy couple, not me in the aftermath of a breakdown.

I hadn't told him what exactly had happened, even though my mom had forced it out of me. Noah accepted that I wanted to let go of everything during the vacation while I promised that once everything was sorted out, I'd let him out of his misery of insistent constant worrying.

"I'll catch up with you later?" I said.

He squeezed my hand. "Go get him."

My eyes widened. "How did you-?"

Noah laughed. "I'm your brother, Kirs, and I've religiously believed in the 'New Year, New Beginning' theory just as much as you have. It wasn't that difficult to figure out why you weren't kissing the wits out of Jason when I came back."

There was no stopping the deep blush rising onto my cheeks. Noah prevented me from retorting an, albeit lame, comeback as he leaned forward and wrapped his arms around me. I reciprocated the gesture, glad for the  comfort from my brother.

After saying goodbye, I headed out, towards the school building. I couldn't help but remember the year before, the day I'd met Jason. I had changed since then, but in the life of a teenager that was pretty much inevitable.

The excitement amongst the students was infectious, yet I was in a world of my own. As I entered the building, there were hundreds of emotions rippling through me. But one thing stood out - the need to find him.