10 Years Ago

“Bae Bae, you need to listen to me. No matter what you hear, you need to stay hidden. And remember Bae Bae mommy loves you. She loves you so much. Now take this, it will explain everything you need to know. But don’t you dare read it until you go to boarding school. Bae Bae you need to promise mommy that right now.”

            Mommy wiped the tears from my face. I loved her accent. She sounded real southern, ‘course I did too.

            “I promise mommy. I promise.”

            “Now Bae Bae, I need you to go hide in the cupboards. I’m going to go make sure daddy doesn’t come and find you. I love you Bae Bae. Don’t ever forget that.”

            “I love you too mommy.”

            Mommy picked me up, and ran me to the cupboards. She kissed me and then ran away. As I went into the cupboard I heard someone yell.

“Victoria Bae!”

            Only one voice could make me so scared. It was daddy.

            “Where is she?!” I heard him yell.

            Smack. Mommy told me to hide until Aunt Chloe got here to help me. But I think mommy is hurt.

            “You don’t get to see her! Ya’ll won’t lay another hand on my daughter!”

Mommy yelled.

            “Get out of my way!”

He yelled at mommy. Smack. Thump. Mommy went down the stairs. Is mommy okay? I’m scared. I want to go see mommy. But Aunt Chloe isn’t here yet.

            “Tori? Where are you?!”

 He’s coming. The door opens. It’s Aunt Chloe! And people with guns. They took daddy away.

            “Vicky? Honey you can come out now. Aunt Chloe’s here. Vicky please come out here honey!”

            I ran out from the cupboards. I went straight to mommy. I shook her. She didn’t wake up.

            “Aunt Chloe? Why won’t mommy wake up?”

I didn’t understand. Why was Aunt Chloe crying? I just didn’t understand. I went to put my head on mommy’s chest. I couldn’t hear her heart beat. Then I understood. No more mommy.