Chapter 8

“Does this mean you two are going to be like a ‘thing’ now?”

Declan rolled his eyes.

“As charming as Derek is, I hardly know him.”

I said, looking at Derek as I did.

“Quite frankly, I don’t really know you either, Declan.”

I said looking at both of them.

“But apparently, you both know me. Better than you let on.”

I scowled at each of them in turn.

“Okay, now it’s your turn to stop that grouchy scowl thing you’ve got going on. You know you love us.”

Derek flashed that smile that made my head spin. And I stuck my tongue out at both of them, not wanting to answer.

“Where’d my mom go?”

I asked feeling panicked.

“That’s a good question. Where did she go?”

Derek looked around with the scowl that seemed to always be plastered on his face.

“Well, I didn’t notice her being gone until you went into this reverie..”

Declan trailed off.

“When I was remembering.”

I spoke, confusion thick on my voice.

“Maybe you can only have one thing conjured at a time.”

Derek said, trying to figure it out.

“Does this mean I should try to conjure her again?”

I asked skeptically.

“That’d be my best guess, Vick.”

Declan said. I started to walk a couple yards away. I could feel their worried eyes on my back, as I heard Derek murmur something to Declan. Very quiet footsteps, and a tentative hand on my waist, to stop me from walking further.

“You okay?”

Derek whispered to me.

“I’m scared,”

I looked at him, and he nodded, encouraging me to go on.

“I feel like one of these times, I’m going to try to conjure her, and I won’t be able to do it anymore. She’ll just be a childhood memory again. Not real.”

I spoke with terror, thinking about how much it would hurt to lose her again.

“If I lose her again, after all this time of trying to get over losing her in the first place, I just..”

I trailed off, as a tear slid down my cheek. Not able to go on. Derek wiped the tear away, and I tried to look away. When I wouldn’t meet his eyes, he took my chin in his hands, and made me face him.

“Bae Bae,”

Something in my eyes, told him I was tired of being treated like a kid, with false promises that everything would be okay.

“I can’t lie to you, every things not going to be okay, but nothing ever is. I mean, the beginnings are usually scary, and the endings are normally sad, but it’s everything in between that’s going to make it all worthwhile. And no matter what happens, I’m going to be here for you. From the scary beginnings to the sad endings, and everything in between.”

He said, his gray eyes glittering like the moon’s reflection on water.

***

“You ready?”