Chapter 49

Author's Note: Let me explain Domestic Partnership, because I know someone will ask. It was the precursor to same-sex marriage in the U.S. and California had a Domestic Partnership law in place as of 1999, which claimed to afford same-sex couples the same legal rights of marriage without actually calling it a marriage. I don't know firsthand how well it was enforced or how much backlash there was- I have only lived in California for two months. 

Also, with the one year anniversary of this story being in a couple of weeks, I would like to express gratitude that I don't accurately know how to convey. Your support and commentary and desire to keep reading on this story has basically altered the course of my life. I changed my major in school to Creative Writing and I am trying to turn this gift I was unaware I had into a career in my mid 30s. (Yes I really am that old.) Maybe someday, you will be reading a published novel of mine. And you will be partly responsible for it. So thanks for that. Anyway, onto the real reason you're here.

Chester:

Sometimes, you do everything right, and things still go wrong. Mental illness. Addiction. They don't give a fucking crap. They can come on suddenly. Be swift, and cruel. Nothing matters when they take hold. They are selfish. And so am I, when I am in their grip.

My phone rang as it sat on the coffee table. My mother. I shouldn't have answered, but I did.

"Yes, Mom?" I wasn't in the mood for pleasantries. After not speaking to her for so long, I couldn't help but wonder what she wanted now. Getting right to the point was better than delaying the inevitable.

"Hello, son." Her voice had a lilt that sounded forced.

"What do you want, Mom?" Like I said, getting to the point.

"Well we haven't talked in a while," she said, "So I thought I'd call and check on my baby."

"Is that so?" I questioned.

"Oh, come on, Chester," she sighed, "Can't a mother see how her child is doing?"

"Not when it comes to you," I retorted, "There's always some ulterior motive."

"Oh really?" now her tone was snide, "And what is it this time?"

"Well I don't know; that's why I asked."

"All right," she confessed, "Maybe I did have a reason. Maybe I wanted to see if you've given up on this ridiculous phase of yours, or if you've found yourself a nice girl."

"It's not a phase, Mom. I've told you that."

"Chester... Why do you have to be this way? There are lots of beautiful women in Los Angeles who would be lucky to have you. Just pick one!"

"Be this way?" now my temper was igniting, "This is who I am, and not some phase! We're together. In fact," I added with a growl, "We've filed paperwork to be a domestic partnership in California."

"You're marrying him?!" she bellowed.

"As close as it can get, yes," I replied, "I asked him at Christmas. He said yes. We're getting married. Or at least the legal equivalent."

"Chester, this is a mistake! Please don't do this. Change your mind. Meet a woman. Get a real marriage. Have babies."

"My marriage will be just as real as both of yours, Mom," I snarled, "And it isn't a mistake! I love him. He loves me. We're happy. I'll be sure to leave you off the guest list for the ceremony, ok?"

"Ohhh," she said sarcastically, "He loves you?"

"Yes! He loves me! He doesn't try to fit me into a box of what he thinks I should be. He loves me the way I am."