I am a what?

If you ever dreamt of being a hero demigod, devoting your life to fighting the evil and serve the gods, then I'm very sorry to say that it isn't that fun being a demigod. It sucks actually. And the gods? I won't even get started on them. Let's just say that they're not nice folks who give you magic stuff. Here, I'm going to tell you how my life turned upside down and how I ended up in Calypso's island (though, it's my island now, seeing that Calypso isn't here anymore).

It all started when my adoptive stepfather decided that we should go watch a movie to, as he himself said it, "strengthen our family ties". I have to say, my family, it's a bit complicated (the godly one and the human one). My adoptive mother, Lisa, was married to my adoptive father. Then, they divorced and my mum married a history teacher named Robert Gundlee. Then Rob (as he insisted to be called) was my adoptive stepfather. There was really nothing wrong with him, he was just... A weirdo. Not those cool nerds that appear in movies, but that man that when is walking down the same street as you, stares. A lot.

We got to the cinema half an hour before the time that the movie started (The Origin of Vampire Gang III, I think), with pockets filled to the top with smuggled candy. As we waited, awkward and silently, in the line, the guy in front of us was telling the whole movie to his friend, who was reading a magazine and nodding to everything that he said, sometimes exclaiming very loud and theatrically. Then Rob turned to me and said:

- What do you know about the Greek gods? – the question was so sudden that for a whole minute I just stared at his face with a confused expression. I really should've noticed that something was wrong, but I thought that he was just pulling a "History teacher" question on me, so I just shrugged and replied: - Nothing.

As I said it, two men with extraordinarily big legs and brown suits entered the line just behind me. They were exactly the same, with the same midnight black irises, same pale skin, and the worst, same psycho smile with the same white teeth behind it. That pretty much finished our conversation. As the line finally moved, I and Rob sat on the last row of chairs, putting our snack options on the floor so we could see them better.

About twenty minutes after the film started, the two weird men entered the movie theatre and sat at the opposite side of the room in comparison to the place where I was. The movie wasn't as bad as I thought it would be (Gerardo killing Mesalina was an awesome plot twist), or maybe I just wasn't paying attention enough to find it dreadful. The fact was that both men hadn't stopped staring at me since they came in. I mentioned Rob's staring problem before, but at least he changed the target once in a while. I nudged Rob and told him I needed to go to the bathroom, and he said that we were both.

We got out of the cozy movie theatre to the cold current that froze the bathroom corridor, and before I could go into the women's booth, Rob grabbed me by my shoulders and put his face very close to mine, which meant that he was bowing down at least five centimeters to do it, and said:

- Look, Kath, I know this will sound crazy, but take this dagger to the smaller lake in Central Park, cut the water with it, and say "Férte mou tous symmáchous tis nýchtas, skliró sýntrof" so that you can fight them. - he actually looked concerned, so I did my best trying not to laugh, even though a few grins escaped. Rob was literally telling me to try and cut water and scream aleatory phonemes to it. Also, he was handing me a bronze dagger, with a leather hilt, that looked very, very sharp. Just for prevention, I took the dagger and carefully put it in my pocket.

- Rob, why are you acting so weird? Do you know who those guys are? Do you owe them money or something? Because mom... - I was rudely interrupted by his very loud "SHHHHHHHHHH", and as he pushed me into the broom closet, I got only a glimpse of the two scary men from before. But there was a difference now: they were not two anymore. Somehow, they fused into one, and as his clothes dissolved to be replaced by an armor with spirits dwelling in it (at the time, I would've described it as smoky thingies doing twirls in the armor). His skin turned a color between blue or black, but it was mainly transparent, His bones were very visible, and they looked like they were made of steel. His black iris had spread through his entire eye, that now was fully black. The only things that didn't change were his crazy smile and teeth. He was holding a huge ax made of a material that looked very much like bones. For a second I thought: "Hey, bones don't cut people, everything is fine!", but then the huge weird thing threw the ax millimeters away from where my head was. Yes, it had gone through the cabinet. No, he hadn't seen the exact place where I was standing. Yes, if he had, I wouldn't be telling you this story right now. The fact was that I had been too hypnotized by that weird dude that I didn't even realize that Rob had left the cabinet. Actually, cabinet is a very complimentative name for that destroyed piece of wood. When I looked back to the thing, I had good news and bad news. Good news: I had found Rob. Bad news: the thing was holding him upside down and beating him up with a cardboard poster.

The only thought in my mind was: I got to save Rob. But he didn't need to be saved. He took a dagger from his pocket (I never found out how many daggers were in that pocket) and shoved it right into the thing's belly. For a moment, I released my breath. The monster had been killed, we were fine. But we weren't, of course. Some gold liquid poured down from the wound, but a few seconds later the monster took out the dagger from his stomach and threw it away (with Rob still holding it), now focusing on me. I could feel his curiosity upon my story, my ancestors, but I had no idea of the answer, so I just stood there, without moving, waiting for him to go away.

You are taught in school (or not, I don't really know...) that the human being has two primary instincts: fight or flee. But at that moment, I couldn't do either. So, I just stood there, hoping that the thing was going to do as the Tigers from National Geographic, and go away. But he only kept smiling at me, and I kept just as still as I could be. His ax (that until now had been in the "closet") flew back to his hand, and as he threw it at me again I jumped to the other side with an enormous speed and, as if I had been training for this moment my whole life, I took the dagger out of my pocket and went on to fight the monster.

To my surprise, I didn't immediately die. The more I stabbed the thing, the more I seemed to get better at it, but it made no sense. Every injury was completely healed seconds after they had been made. And I started getting tired, and that was a problem. The thing that annoyed me most was that, even with multiple stabs all over his body, the thing kept smiling! And I just wanted to dig a hole in the ground burry myself into it and wait until he was gone. I got distracted for a second and the thing managed to punch me in the stomach. I felt my inner organs protest as I tried to stand up, but I did it anyway.

- You are indeed strong, Daughter of the Gods. But you're no match for an immortal being. – he laughed, or coughed, or snorted (the noise sounded like all that in one). Then grabbed Rob's body from a pile of broken wall. He was shaking slightly, which was good, it meant that he was alive. But not for much. The ax was dragging itself back to the thing's hand, and not very slowly – Eurynomos, the lord of damned and lost souls, condemns you for betraying The Alliance, and...

He was interrupted by Rob that had taken a dagger (yes, another) and poked it in Eurynomos' eye. They started fighting, and for the first time, I could see what mom had seen in him. Deep down, he had a sense of bravery and strength that I did not know about. I tried to help him, but my body wasn't helping me, so he was all alone. At first, it seemed like Rob was winning, but just as I said, humans get tired (especially those who had been recently thrown against a wall), and just as Eurynomos said, he was immortal. Quickly, the game turned, and Eurynomos was winning. He punched Rob every time harder, and all I could do was watch. The ax. It had finally reached its owner's hand, and it seemed to be eager to kill. And it did. I looked away, but it was no use. Rob was dead, Eurynomos had done it.

And he would pay for it.