Chapter 3

Where the new kid makes a good first impression on the Loki Twins

-

Sarah glanced curiously through the car's window. It was an old and dusty car that could've been from the '50s if not for the fact that no antique collectors had walked up to them yet. The window was so brown with a mixture of dirt and some sort of algae that it was almost impossible to see through it.

Somehow, this was Bucky's idea of "undercover".

"Are you sure this'll get you all the way to the Ardyh orphanage?" Sarah bit her lip, not knowing whether to grin or be serious.

"If it breaks down I can just push it," Bucky shrugged.

"Right, like that won't be calling attention to yourself," Sarah mumbled, "well, good luck then."

"And you get back to the Quinjet," Bucky ordered.

"Sure thing, Winter Sports," Sarah replied with Michael's nickname for Bucky, because she knew he despised it.

"I heard that!" Bucky shouted as he opened the car door, pulling it off its hinges entirely.

He stared at the door in a mixture of surprise and frustration, and Sarah smiled, pausing halfway up the ramp to the Quinjet.

"Are you sure you'll..."

"I'll be FINE," Bucky retorted stubbornly,  climbing into the car and forcing the door back into its place from the inside.

Sarah shrugged with a grin, and climbed into the Quinjet.

"Suit yourself!"

Sarah had been the only one allowed to come with Bucky to pick up Justin, under the condition that she stayed in the Quinjet and let Bucky do the last part alone. It had caused some jealousy amongst the others, of course, especially Michael. But to be fair, the majority just wasn't normal enough.

In fact, Sarah was arguably one of the most normal people in the ADAPT base, excluding Agent Coulson whenever he was present. Michael had even given her the nickname "Normal Person Jr.", partly because Sam Wilson's nickname was 'Normal Person' and she was the 'Junior', but it just happened to be perfectly appropriate.

A loud spluttering noise from outside indicated that Bucky had managed to start the car, and the noise faded away as he drove off.

"ASSASSIN3?" Sarah began, addressing the A.I. that they had discovered during Plan C.H.A.S.M..

"Yes, Miss Wilson?"

Sarah couldn't help noticing that on this Quinjet, ASSASSIN3 was still on her default settings. Her voice didn't sound like Pepper's, which they had arranged in the Space Quinjet, and she still called her "Miss Wilson" instead of just Sarah.

"Call me Sarah," Sarah answered.

"I am afraid you will need authorization to alter my settings."

"You don't remember me?"

"I am afraid not, Miss Wilson. I am afraid segments of my memory have been wiped."

"Is it even technically possible for AI's to be afraid?" Sarah enquired.

"I am afraid I do not have the answer to that."

Sarah smiled.

"You are quite ridiculous, ASSASSIN3."

"Should I feel threatened, Miss Wilson?"

"No, no, it's a compliment."

She paused, looking around.