Chapter 6

Where things explode and flapjacks are baked

-

"Penny, are you okay?" Pietro asked.

At least, that was what Penny thought he asked, because she couldn't actually hear him over the noise that the lawnmower made.

She gave her spatula to Loraine, and gave him a hug. Answering was pointless; even Wanda's telepathy couldn't be heard over the lawnmower.

Then Penny took back her spatula and continued speed-baking flapjacks, assisted by Chelsea, Sarah, Nutmeg and Wolf. Simon was helping Nutmeg, but Pepper took over as she came in with Tony and the others.

Penny saw Tony say something — something about... Clint? — but she couldn't hear a word.

Where was Clint? He wasn't in the kitchen, like he'd said he'd be.

Rocky snatched a flapjack out of the pot that they were stacking them into, and Sarah smacked his hand with her spatula. Not quite as effective as a ladle, but it did the trick.

Loki was trying in the most absurd ways to get his hands on a flapjack. He clearly saw it as a sport — in fact, Penny thought he was having a competition with Michael to see who could swipe the most of the fluffy delicacies.

Pietro was doing a great job speeding in and grabbing one before Sarah could react. he was wise enough not to try Wolf, Chelsea or Penny, and especially not Pepper. Pepper was way too--

BOOOOOOM!!!!

"Wow," Rocky noted, "that must've been really loud if we heard it over the lawnmower."

Bucky frowned.

"Wait a second... do you hear that?" he enquired, and everyone stayed silent.

"Nope, nothing," Peter answered.

"Exactly!" Bruce pointed out, "the lawnmower, it's stopped!"

Everyone automatically turned to face the window, but they couldn't see anything out of the ordinary without going outside.

"I'm gonna go take a look!" Daniel announced, making a dash for the back door.

"Pep-per, fire pancake!" Nutmeg squeaked, and Pepper quickly returned her attention to the flapjacks, which were smoking slightly. Penny switched off the stove and followed Daniel.

Moments later they were all assembled on the lawn. All that remained of the lawnmower was a blackened patch of grass and some loose smoking parts scattered over the lawn.

"What happened?" Sam exclaimed.

Wolf picked something up from in between the odd bits of rubble, inspecting it for a moment before slipping it into his pockets unnoticed by the rest.

"Natasha?" Steve gestured to the black patch, "I think you're the closest to a detective that we have."

"What about Wanda?" Pietro asked.

"Natasha already lost her position as best interrogator to me, bother," Wanda replied dismissively, "she can have this one."

"Thank you," Natasha spoke with mock gratitude, before turning to inspect the scene.

It took her only a few minutes to come to a conclusion.

"It exploded."

Rocky rolled his eyes.

"I could've told you that."

"Then why didn't you?" Loraine challenged.

"Because it was so obvious that I assumed everyone knew."