Freckles

Its been 10 years, exactly to the day when he met Dean in person. Since he saw the person who would change Castiel forever.

10 years to an angel is like a day, if even that much, to a human. Though to Castiel, god it feel like years. Maybe more than that. It felt like an eternity. Dean was like a blip in the credits, but Castiel, fell, rebelled, killed and died for him.
Dean being his best friend couldn't imagine him any other way. Demons, angels, humans and practically any other being they encountered always 'joked' about Dean and Castiel having an intimate relationship. Or would often be surprised or filled with disbelief when told otherwise.

Cas had shared many longing stares with Dean. He often found Dean staring at him so he stared back. Not knowing what to do in the situation, he just stared back.
In doing so he noticed how green Dean's eyes were. They were so bright and full of life when they first met. Slowly dulling becoming sad as the years and losses continued.

But the one thing Cas always saw in his hunters face he couldn't ignore. The freckles dotted across his cheeks and nose. He had warm brown freckles concentrated on he high points of his face. It kept the innocence and life in his appearance, though he possess none.

His tanned face was perfect, high cheekbones, and a strong jaw. Pouty lips looking soft and beautiful, but also twisted in an evil smirk on occasion.
Castiel appreciated his face. It was pleasing to look at. Often getting lost in the features, getting into Dean's personal space quite often.
-
Dean was with Castiel in library. What was new. This was the new routine now a days. Sitting, reading, then killing....then more reading.
"Dean.." Cas asked spontaneously. Dean didn't look up. He rubbed his eyes. "Yeah?" Dean asked. "10 years is a significant time period for humans being in any sort of relationship." Castiel says, his over sophisticated vocabulary always made Dean smile. "Yes Cas. It's a really long time for people to know each other." Dean looked to meet Cas' eyes. The long deep gaze they shared so often commenced. There was a short moment of silence between taking. "It's been 10 years since we met..." Cas got up, he placed a book on the bookshelf searching for another.

Dean at him, his face seems to show shock or disbelief. "...in that warehouse." The angel continued. He remembered it so clearly. How powerful he was, how simple things were. How Dean thought he couldn't be saved. Cas was right. He could be saved, and the world is still here because of it.

"It's uh- been...a long time." Thinking about that promise he made. The time was here. He had to. Castiel could die, for good this time.
Dean got up and went to 'look for a book' next to Castiel. Dean thought about how sparks flew when they met. Literally, sparks flew from Cas' overdramatic entrance. How Castiel had all the blue from the sky concealed into his eyes. His hair was still messy and jet black, where as now it was more kept.
He remembered simpler times.

The first time he said he loved Castiel.

"Cas there's something I need to tell you." Dean turned to Cas who's face was innocent and questioning. His heart melted as their eyes met again. "I put this off a lot and I told myself when-...what are you doing?" Dean looked at Cas' but he wasn't looking him in the eye.

"Sh don't move." Castiel says very quietly. His intense remained. "Cas, wh-" Dean stopped talking when Cas grasped his face with one hand.

Dean blushed furiously, what was he doing? "Cas, let go of my face." Dean pulled away, earning Castiel's confused kitten face.
"I uh sorry." Castiel blushed as well. Dean had never seen The angel blush like this.

"I have been attempting to count your..freckles." Cas began to sit back down, but Dean took his forearm.

"That's adorable, but impossible." He chuckled softly. "Anythings possible. You should know that." Castiel always had a 'know it all' tone.

"Castiel.." Dean bagan, he hadn't said his full name in so long. Cas seemed confused or concerned on his sudden mood change.
"I love you." Dean says.
Dean said it. Not in a romantic way. But not in a brotherhood way. He didn't know what it meant but he loved Castiel.

Cas smiled softly. Dean hadn't seen that smile in years. Cas kissed Dean's freckles on his cheek, before looking at him again.

"I love you too, Dean."