Prologue: Introduction

VINNI

Some of you may know me already, some of you may not. But I suggest you do your background reading (you know, Google, or whatever. The twenty-first century is such a lovely convenient place) because I will plunge right in to the thick of things.

My name's Vinni. I'm a witch.

No. I'm not deranged. I really am one. I have magic powers and the ability to kill people just by thinking about it.

I've already said I'm not crazy.

Three years ago, one of my best friends stabbed me in the back (literally; also, shot lightning at me and indirectly had me thrown off a roof). That didn't really work out for her; she's currently a stone statue somewhere. But it freaked my mom out (no prizes for guessing why) and she whisked us all away to a magical-creature utopia. Her, me, and my then-nine-year-old sister, Vera.

VERA

Hi there. I'm Vera, I'm turning twelve this year.

Uh, what else? Oh, right.

So, aged nine, I got kidnapped by my sister's psycho best friend, saved by said sister, and was immediately whisked away from home to this crazy community for magical people. It's kind of cool, I guess, where everyone is safe (apparently, though you can never be sure) and free to exercise their powers.

This should be great for my sister, Vinni, who got her powers at twelve and spent exactly a year attempting (and failing miserably, I might add) to deal with that. But instead, she doesn't seem very happy here. In fact she's kind of pissed off about the whole place.

It should also be great for me, because according to my mom I can 'have a place to train in comfort and seclusion and among masters' or some crap like that. Please, mom. Vinni did her training in hotel basements, fields, backyards, bedrooms and warehouses with a bunch of thirteen-year-olds in the midst of a enemy trying to kill her, and her powers are awesome.

I don't know what that suggests about where my life is headed, but sure. I'm optimistic. Welcome to my new life. Which would be cooler if it wasn't so deadly, but still.