3 - friendship test

~

"what is johnny's favourite food?" the interviewer asked reading from the card.
i took a long pause, how was i supposed to know? johnny liked everything!

john answers the question when he sees my struggling, "brownies."

the interviewer gave me my second question, "where did johnny grow up?"

this one i was confident in. "toronto." i saw his facial expression and i quickly changed my answer, "canada, ont.. wait."

this was embarrassing. johnny was my bestfriend and i was getting none of the questions right.

under his breath he said, "oakville."

it was time for the third question, "what is johnny's favourite sport?"

"hockey!"

"yeah." he said.

1-3 was better than nothing i guess. the interviewer finally asked me the last question and i couldn't be more thankful. "what colour are johnny's eyes?"

john closed his eyes but i didn't need to look at them, i already knew they were a gorgeous green.

"green!"

"yeah." he said questionably, "yeah."

~

the interview lasted for what felt like forever, but it eventually ended. johnny and i awkwardly walked to our dressing rooms not saying anything. he slumped on to the couch, scrolling on instagram while i sat down in my dressing room chair.

"what an interview, am i right?" i laughed trying to break the tension.

he took his headphones from his backpack and plugged them into his phone, "yep, real fun." he stuffed the headphones into his ears and went back to looking at his phone.

i got up from my chair and sat on the coffee table in front of him. he look over at me confused.

"john," i started but he looked away. i leaned forward and ripped the headphones from his ears. "i can see your upset and i want you to know i'm sorry. i obviously know you."

johnny scoffs and rolls his eyes, "oh you do? because lately it's seems like you know nothing about me. in fact, lately it seems like you don't even want to be my friend anymore. i may be being over dramatic right now, but it hurts when your so-called "bestfriend" can't remember a thing about you!"

now i was hurt. how could he say that? of course i still thought of him as a best friend, it was just hard to keep in touch when we lived so far apart. my hurt turned to anger and i looked him dead in the eye.

"you say i know nothing about you, so tell me why i know this." i cleared my throat and took a deep breath, this was going to be a while.

"first off, i know that family is the most important thing to you and you would do anything for them. i know when your nervous you look down and run your hands through your hair. i know you would rather stay home and watch movies than go to big events, but you still go because you love your fans so much."