Chapter 11

Mike

Since Afton was nowhere to be seen I was left to deal with the unconscious Sabrina on my own.  I couldn't bring her to a hospital, not now that they thought I was insane.  They'd probably think I did something to her and try to arrest me.  So instead I phoned an old college friend to pick us up. And I waited.

What were we supposed to do now? The animatronics were missing. Afton was gone. Sabrina was unconscious. We were running out of options.

I glanced down at Sabrina. Her skin looked waxy in the moonlight. At least she was alive. But what had they done to her? And why? They could have easily killed her, but they didn't. Instead they captured her and brought her to this building.  Was she supposed to be the bait? And if she was bait, who for? Or what for?

A car streaked into the parking lot and I threw up a little in my mouth. She got a sparkling fuchsia wrap for he car . . ?

The Porsche Panamera did a 180, tires squealing, before it skidded to a stop. The engine continued to purr as the driver door flung open.  A woman in faded jeans and a black t-shirt exited the car.  She leaned against the roof and smiled.

"Mike, how's it been?" she called.  She glanced down at Sabrina's slumped form.  "Seems like you got yourself into some trouble."

"She's a coworker."

"Sure, whatever you say.  Want some help getting her in the car?"

"I've got it."

I half-dragged, half-lifted Sabrina into the backseat and put on her seatbelt. Then I sat in the front seat as my college friend kicked her car into drive.

"So that's it," she said. "No hello or anything. Just sticking your unconscious girlfriend in my car."

I rolled my eyes. She was such a drama queen. "Hello, Torri."

"Better, but where's the I missed you?"

"I left it behind with my dignity when I called you."

Torri laughed and glanced at me, eyes glittering in the passing streetlights.  She tilted her head.

"I missed your sense of humor."

She turned her attention back to the road.  It was several minutes before she spoke again.  "Tell me about you.  Did you ever achieve your dream of being an engineer?"

"I'm a cameraman."

"But what about your degree?"

"My boss doesn't ask for much and he pays well.  Besides, being an engineer was boring."

"Yeah, but cameraman?  When we talked last-"

"College graduation," I reminded her.  She waved a hand.

"College grad, whenever.  But when we talked last you were so set on being an engineer.  Remember? You wanted to build human sized Androids."

Oh, I remembered. I remembered sitting in a dark room, bent over blueprints and journals filled with notes. I remembered the charts of robotic bodies that wouldn't look human, no matter what I did to them. I shook my head, ridding the cobwebs of memory.

"I couldn't figure out how to power them without needing to charge it hourly," I said. Torri shrugged.

"Shame. I was looking forward to some extra help around the house.  So I assume now you want a place to stay?"

"I mean, it would be nice . . ."

"Don't worry, you can totally crash at my house.  We'll fix up your girlfriend and send you on your way."