Chapter 7

Sabrina

Seven times circling the room and I was no closer to helping us escape. The metal slab of a door felt like it was welded shut. There were no windows, no holes in the ceiling. Nothing we could use.

"We won't get out unless they take us," Mimzy murmured from her spot on the floor.

"Leave this to the adult," I replied.

"You might not even live until they come for you. I don't think the other kids like adults."

"There aren't other kids," I sighed.

"If your friend comes, he's going to die too."

"How did you know it's a he?"

"The wires talked about it. You are 'the ones who came. The fighter man and watcher woman.'"

I glanced up at the wires dangling from the ceiling.  Mimzy had referred to the talking wires several times.  She seemed so convinced that it was real.  For the first time I allowed the possibility that Mimzy was crazy to surface.  There was no way to tell how long she had been trapped in this room.  A clang sounded in the distance and I flinched.  Mimzy seemed unfazed.

"What was that?" I asked.

"It's starting," she announced.  She closed her eyes.  "The walls are bleeding.  They always do when the robots come."

I glanced around.  The erratic bursts of light revealed that nothing had changed.  No blood dripping from walls, at least.  Then a faint gray light filled the room as the children appeared.

There were four of them.  Their skin was all sickly white.  Their clothes had been bleached gray.  Their eyes were bottomless black voids.  Tear streaks stained their cheeks.

"It's a grown up," one of the kids whispered.  He looked like the youngest of the bunch, maybe five years old.

"She's bigger than us," another child murmured.  She stepped closer, heedless of my shuddering.

"I don't like her," the tallest said.  Her straight hair billowed slowly in an invisible breeze.

"She's the one they want," Mimzy told the ghost children as she opened her eyes.

"How are you here?" I croaked.  "Ghosts . . . they . . . aren't they not supposed to exist?"

"Stupid grown up," the tallest girl growled.

"We're broken spirits," another child agreed.  "Do we look fake to you?"

I was nearly buried under the flurry of insults which followed.

"Dumb adults."

"Never listen."

"They're the reason we're dead."

"They made the robots in the first place."

"They're the reason we got scooped."

"Wait, slow down," I pleaded.  The flow of words stopped.  "What do you mean?  Scooped?"

"They took out what's inside and tried to replace it," the youngest spirit answered.  "But it didn't work.  We're too small."

"That's why they took you," one of the spirits who hadn't spoken yet said.  "You're the costume.  And Mimzy can leave."

"She's coming!" one of the spirits cried.  It was difficult to tell which one had spoken, but within an instant all of the spirits were gone and the room was plunged into darkness once again.

The door at the end of the room opened and an animatronic stepped inside.  I shuddered.  It was Foxy.  Her jaw was dislocated and crusted with dark red.

"Sabrina, come on," Mike's voice said through Foxy's chest speaker.  I glared at her.  Wretched voice thief.  I could already feel a headache coming on as my ears buzzed.

"Good-bye," Mimzy murmured.

"Good-bye," her voice echoed from Foxy's speaker.  I walked past Foxy and into the grimy hall beyond.  Before the door closed I glanced back at Mimzy huddling in her spot on the floor.  I could have sworn the walls gleamed red.