Chapter 9

Mike

A ruined building.  Blood splattered concrete.  Flickering lights.

This nightmare of a place had many things, but it didn't have any evidence that Sabrina was here.

"Why does it always come back to here?" I asked as I remembered the heavy camera on my shoulder and the lightness of my heart the last time I'd been here. I had none of that now.  I was a changed man, broken both inside and out.  I even looked like the kind of madman who belonged here since I was still dressed in the white jumpsuit from the mental hospital.

"If I recall, your last trip to Circus Baby's Pizza World did not end well," Afton said.

"I almost died."  My chest gave a painful twang at the memory.  I could almost feel Foxy's crushing weight and snapping metallic jaws . . .

"You'll want to shut off the power on your way back up," Afton mentioned as he checked his watch.  I chocked on my next breath.

"I'll . . . You're sending me in that death hole alone?"

"Did you expect me to come with you?  You're better suited for this task.  The animatronics remember me.  They don't like me in the slightest.  And Carolina is more likely to trust you than me."

"Is that why you broke me out of the hospital?  So that I could be the one to do anything remotely dangerous?"

"You're raving, Hamford."

"You're a coward!"

"And you're a fool."  Afton regarded me coldly.  "If you don't want to rescue Carolina then don't.  I'll shut the power off from here and we can never speak of this again."

There were a lot of things I would have loved to do right then.  At the top of the list was punching Afton's perfect face.  But Carolina came first.  She always came first.  She didn't ask for any of this to happen to her.  She didn't ask to be kidnapped.

"Why would they kidnap her rather than kill her?" I asked.

"They have a need."

"For?"

"Hamford, do we have time for a long explanation?  I was under the assumption you wished to launch a rescue before there was nothing left to rescue."

I clenched my fists, but he had a point.  I didn't have time to mine for information.  I had to save Sabrina now.  Before those creatures did anything to her.

"Any last pieces of advice?" I asked.  "Since you didn't even give me a weapon?"

"The room you'll want to check first is accessed from Foxy's Auditorium.  Enter from the service center, then turn right.  You'll see it."

"And service center is . . ?"

"The room that connects to all the animatronics."

"Right. Got it."

I shook out my hands and rolled my shoulders.  This was it.  I was going back to the nightmare.  Willingly, no less.  What had happened to me?  What was happening to me?

I stepped through the doors and headed directly for the waiting elevator.  Almost everything looked the same as I remembered.  The only difference was the trail of blood leading from the elevator to the outside world.  I dimly registered that the blood was probably mine.  I could picture Sabrina, panicked and alone, dragging my useless body across the floor and away from the elevator.  My only hope of survival and she'd stayed true.

A musical chime announced that the elevator had reached the bottom level.  I shook myself out of my stupor.  I couldn't even remember stepping into the elevator, let alone pressing the button to go down.  I took a deep breath as the doors slid open.

The scene of my nightmares.  A dark pool of blood, now nothing more than a stain and a twang in my chest.  Sparks rained from the ceiling where lights had burst in their sockets.  Marks had been gauged into the walls and floor.  Spare bolts and bits of wire littered the ground.

But no sign of Sabrina or the animatronics.

I passed down the hall and into the service center, ever vigilant for the tell-tale buzz in my ears which meant the animatronics were near.  There was only silence.  All of the doors were open.

"Little beasties are loose," I mumbled.  "Little beasties stole my Brina.  I'll steal her back."

Now came the hard part.  How much did I trust Afton's directions?  He wanted me to go into a part of the facility I'd never gone to before.  But if Sabrina was still inside of Funtime Freddy, she would be onstage with him.

A scream shattered the air, zinging up and down my spine.  I knew that sound.  I knew that sound.

Sabrina.

Without so much as a moment's hesitation I followed the sound into Foxy's realm.